Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

C- Gusset install questions...

Old 01-23-2009, 09:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C- Gusset install questions...

i took my C-Gussets to my cousin who is going to do the welding for me and we were doing a dry fit, so he can get an idea of what hes gonna have to do. we noticed that the base of the top gusset doesnt contact the base of the spring mount, as shown in the pic on the instruction sheet. now, we only dry fit these with the wheels on the ground.

has anyone who has installed these noticed this, and if so, what did you do to make it work. info and or pics would be appreciated
Old 01-23-2009, 09:43 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is an install write-up on Project-JK.com that might help:
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...cement-gussets

You may just need to tap the gusset into place with a hammer.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:58 AM
JK Freak

WOLette....

it seems more like the base of the spring is in the way. in looking at the pics in the write up, your springs arent hanging over the bottom like mine are.

after i pick up my kids from school, ill dry fit them and take a pic, maybe that will give y'all a better idea
Old 01-23-2009, 10:06 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by paramaniac
WOLette....

it seems more like the base of the spring is in the way. in looking at the pics in the write up, your springs arent hanging over the bottom like mine are.

after i pick up my kids from school, ill dry fit them and take a pic, maybe that will give y'all a better idea
Not sure, but it sounds like your coil might not be seated correctly. Make sure the end of the coil is sitting in the spring perch like this:

Old 01-23-2009, 11:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by putnam dan
with you there bfh fixes everything
x2 thats how I got mine in
Old 01-23-2009, 12:01 PM
JK Freak

so i just dry fit the gusset and checked my spring placement. the spring is seated properly and this is what it looks like in place....

so, BFH it is then?

or, once i lift the front end off the ground, the gusset will slip in place and then be under the spring? i dont want that coil resting on the gusset once its in place.

also, anyone have issues with ball joints after welding these in place?
Old 01-23-2009, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry, dont mean to hijack the thread but I had a separate question. I done quite a bit of welding and I feel confident in welding to the steel tube, but my question is if there is anything special that has to be done to weld to the cast C. Any tips and advice would be great. THANKS
Old 01-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mossyoakman3006
Sorry, dont mean to hijack the thread but I had a separate question. I done quite a bit of welding and I feel confident in welding to the steel tube, but my question is if there is anything special that has to be done to weld to the cast C. Any tips and advice would be great. THANKS
The Axle C's are not a casting, they are a forging and therefore 100% weldable. Take a look at how the factory connects the C's to the axle tube, they are welded.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paramaniac
so i just dry fit the gusset and checked my spring placement. the spring is seated properly and this is what it looks like in place....

so, BFH it is then?

or, once i lift the front end off the ground, the gusset will slip in place and then be under the spring? i dont want that coil resting on the gusset once its in place.

also, anyone have issues with ball joints after welding these in place?
Some springs are a little larger in diameter and get larger in diameter when vehicle is at right height (compressed) and therefore do not allow the gussets to be fully inserted with the spring installed in the axle perch at ride height.

Tip: Lift vehicle by frame until tires leave the ground. This will make the spring smaller in diameter and the gusset should clear the spring once fully inserted. In very few installs the spring may just barely contact the gusset, this is not a problem. Note the the bottom of the spring on the axle has no isolation and therefore metal to metal contact on the gusset is not a issue. This is all noted in the instructions.

Also these should be welded with the wheels off the ground and tires removed.

Last edited by Evolution; 01-23-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by evolution
Some springs are a little larger in diameter and get larger in diameter when vehicle is at right height (compressed) and therefore do not allow the gussets to be fully inserted with the spring installed in the axle perch at ride height.

Tip: Lift vehicle by frame until tires leave the ground. This will make the spring smaller in diameter and the gusset should clear the spring once fully inserted. In very few installs the spring may just barely contact the gusset, this is not a problem. Note the the bottom of the spring on the axle has no isolation and therefore metal to metal contact on the gusset is not a issue. This is all noted in the instructions.

Also these should be welded with the wheels off the ground and tires removed.
i knew they need to be welded with the jeep off the ground and the tires removed. like i said, it was a dry fit, to show my cousin, who is a welder, how they were to be installed. we werent sure if the gusset would make the clearance once the spring was decompressed. we were concerned since i am running an aftermarket spring (OME HD)

thanks for the info, EXACTLY the answer i was looking for.

Quick Reply: C- Gusset install questions...