Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

C or D rated tires

Old 02-26-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C or D rated tires

Which one? Pros and Cons? Goodyear MTR Kevlar.

315/70/17-D rated

vs

35x12.50x17 C rated
Old 02-26-2011, 05:22 PM
JK Junkie

My thought too. The only problem is you have to run the white letters OUT with the D rated. :(
Old 02-26-2011, 05:32 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ECHO
Are the MTR's directional ?? I just looked them up they are not directional, but have the Inside/Outside tagged on them .. thats sucks about the lettering.. I know they do come in blackwall you just have to find the right wholesaler
You are suppose to run the open lugs to the outside.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would choose the C rated. Better flotation in soft sand, and better ride. I think that if you poke through 6 plys you would probably have poked through 8 almost as easily.
Tom
Old 02-26-2011, 06:00 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ECHO
I am not sure.. I just read, that they do have the markings stating which side is out wards.. Seems popular now with certain tire manufacturers - seeing more of it all the time. I have only ever seen one set of the MTr's w/Kev .. they were blackwall 35's
They were probably the C rated.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you plan to off-road the jeep, then get a D rated tire. If you plan to drive around town, C rated tires will offer a softer ride.

The tires are designed to run with the large voids to the outside. I thought every tiresize they offered included at least a blackwall choice. If not, you can color them out - I believe I read here on the board that someone did that...
Old 02-26-2011, 06:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

On mtr/k's, there is a stamp on the sidewall that 'tells' you which side to run out.

Load C's are plenty strong enough for my offroad needs. If you do a lot of rocks, especially areas with sharper, jagged edges, you would be better off with the thickest sidewalls you can find.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:47 PM
mjm
JK Enthusiast

I asked the same question a while back and some folks said the c-rated MTRs can be a little hard to balance. Too bad the d-rated ones only come in white letters out. I wonder why GY does that... It's not 1980. Although I have seen a few rigs that look pretty cool with white letters out.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

If there is a difference in performance regarding how they are mounted, it is insignificant at best. GY told me why thay do it that way and it has been discussed here before. FWIW, the Pink Jeep Tour Company in Sedona runs a lot of Jeeps (I saw close to 30 in their lot) and over 50% that are running MTRs w/k have them mounted with the larger lugs inside. The same with Barlow Jeep rentals there. Half are mounted wrong according to GY. In all of these cases, they appear to be wearing the same and performance is no different. According to GY there might be an advantage with the larger lugs if you run in a lot of mud. Some sizes only come with white letters and there is no problem mounting the white inside. I will be remounting my MTRs soon to wear them out and the white letters will go to the inside.

Both the C & D tires will work fine offroad. The D rated tire will carry a havier load, but gives a firmed ride at equal pressures. My 34s are D, but would prefer the 35" C's.

Last edited by Crasher; 02-26-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Quick Reply: C or D rated tires