Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Buying a stolen Recovery 2015 JKU

Old 11-10-2016, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a stolen Recovery 2015 JKU

Its a 2015 and the steering column is going to need to be replaced as it got tore up by the thieves, and it has no keys. So my question is how big of a deal will it be to have the dealer (if I have to have them reprogram) program some keys to match the Jeep if I have none? Its a pretty good wrangler and its going to get the lift treatment and be used off road but this steering column/key programming thing has me a little nervous as I hate dealers as they always try to screw me? Any help is appreciated
Old 11-10-2016, 06:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I'd ask a dealer. Not like they bite lol.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:18 AM
JK Newbie

Why didn't I think of that? I'm looking for someone who might have done this too and bought from insurance company or has knowledge of the systems key fob and anti-theft system

QUOTE=jadmt;4256551]I'd ask a dealer. Not like they bite lol.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-11-2016, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by johnyrrr
Its a 2015 and the steering column is going to need to be replaced as it got tore up by the thieves, and it has no keys. So my question is how big of a deal will it be to have the dealer (if I have to have them reprogram) program some keys to match the Jeep if I have none? Its a pretty good wrangler and its going to get the lift treatment and be used off road but this steering column/key programming thing has me a little nervous as I hate dealers as they always try to screw me? Any help is appreciated
Like jadmt said. How big a deal. Well, I guess that will MOSTLY depend on the dealer. It'll cost you (how much? ask your favorite dealer). You'll have to prove ownership. You'll have to get at least TWO keys from them. Once you have two keys, then you can buy the cheap ones off the internet and program them yourself.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

After you replace the column, the dealer will have to replace the skim key module and reprogram you a new key. Not a big deal.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

Might be able to find column & key from salvage yard. I assume you know you need a FOB, not all JK need FOB.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

I haven't heard of a skim key, I'll look more into it. Thanks for the insite, hopefully I can find all of this on a wreak
Old 11-23-2016, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Are you buying it with a clean title or has it been declared a salvage? I'd be more worried about that than getting the key issue handled. A salvage title vehicle brings a ton of baggage in the form of resale, ability to finance down the road if you decide to sell it and the buyer isn't a cash buyer, ability to insure. None of the financial or insurance institutions look, or care, at anything but the checked box on the title marked salvage. I guess some states make you carry a bonded title or something similar. Still worth looking into. Good luck!
Old 11-24-2016, 11:29 AM
JK Freak

Did not think about the title, but you are right. I know in my state, the original repair list (things that need to be fixed), a list of parts bought and replaced (if you do it), or the repair bill from the repair shop, both listing everything on the first list and that it was repaired, and then inspected to verify that it is truely road worthy and complies with regulations for that year, i.e. emissions, air bags, and such. With all that paper work taken to the DMV and it is sent to the capital for approval and they might not approve it. Just check what your state has.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:01 PM
JK Newbie

You will need the key code and key pin to have a key made. You can get this from the dealer at no cost. You just need to prove ownership. If you get a new ignition it should come with a key but you will still need it reprogrammed. All keys have to be programmed with a computer to the jeep

Quick Reply: Buying a stolen Recovery 2015 JKU