Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Buying my Lift. Need Help.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my Lift. Need Help.

So I am going to purchase my lift for my 07 Unlimited X tomorrow. Im a newb at the whole Jeep/lift thing but I'm not Jeep iliterate if you know what I mean. I've been trying to figure out the best bang for my buck on these lifts. Trying to decide between the Rough Country 2.5 or 3.25 or the Rustys 3.25 Basic. My Jeep wont see a lot of trail/offroad time right now because of work but in the fall and winter it will see a bit more. I will be running 35's. Got the hookup from a fellow Jeep owner. Thoughts, Opinions, Suggestions. All are welcome. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the old man emu 2.5 lift. About 800 bucks. And it's great. Love the ride on it. And seeing the bright yellow shocks. Quadratec rep on here gave me a little
Discount on price and shipping.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you just want to get it up in the air for 35's and don't plan to wheel it much I would just get the budget boost. Even with a budget boost and 35's you will still gain off road performance just b/c of ground clearance and better traction from a wider tire.

Going with a kit that has shocks and springs will improve the ride quality a little bit, but if you aren't going offroad much and arn't disconnecting your sway bar you wont gain much flex over the budget boost.

As far as the kits you suggested... I have heard nothing about rusty's kit. As far as the RC, the one guy I know who used to have it said its good if you are just going to use it for mall crawling, but IMHO if you are just going to mall crawl just get a budget boost.

I would (and did) go with this setup before I would go with the kits you mentioned:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/spon...00-otd-212408/
Old 06-11-2012, 02:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a broken record on this, but look into the Rancho 4" (or even the 3") sport lifts with RS9000XL shocks. Rancho's $500 rebate brings this $1150 lift down to $650, net. For a DD with occasional trails and moderate to difficult crawling, I don't think you'll find a more capable lift for the money. One thing to note since you have a 2012 is to look out for the exhaust and cross members. There are some issues with front drive shaft clearances above 2.5" lifts I believe. I know that Rancho offers items to eliminate this problem.

Also, If you do decide to go 3+ inches, you may seriously want to consider an aftermarket front drive shaft too. I hear the pinion angle on that is higher than the sub-2012 models and you will eventually experience a CV boot failure and need to replace the front DS. I don't have any direct experience with the 2012's, only what I've read on the forums. Who knows, you might be OK for a while, but then again, you might have problems right away.

Good luck. Don't forget to post up your rig with before and after shots.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Rusty's Off-Road

Our basic 3.25" system is a great system that will gt a lot accomplished at a great price.
If you have any questions feel free to PM me or call us. 256-442-0607
A lot of happy customers running this system on here.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I run the Rusty's 3.25" lift and for the money you can't beat it. Does great on and off road, and no sagging or leaking shocks like the other brand you mentioned
Old 06-11-2012, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rallyxs81
So I am going to purchase my lift for my 07 Unlimited X tomorrow. Im a newb at the whole Jeep/lift thing but I'm not Jeep iliterate if you know what I mean. I've been trying to figure out the best bang for my buck on these lifts. Trying to decide between the Rough Country 2.5 or 3.25 or the Rustys 3.25 Basic. My Jeep wont see a lot of trail/offroad time right now because of work but in the fall and winter it will see a bit more. I will be running 35's. Got the hookup from a fellow Jeep owner. Thoughts, Opinions, Suggestions. All are welcome. Thanks.

I am no expert, but I just installed a Rough Country 3.5 series II lift this weekend. Took about 10 hours, but we really took our time. I absolutely love it...drives great! I decided not to install the dropped pitmam arm for a few reasons (pain in the ass, plus for an extra 100-150 an adjustable track bar solves the same problem). For $500 shipped, I can't believe how great this lift drives...I have a few hundred miles on it already...pretty sweet. In my opinion, get an adjustable track bar, and if you can afford it buy a lift with control arms or get some adjustable control arms. The 3.5 series II is pretty complete...pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lift4.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	328189   Click image for larger version

Name:	lift3.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	328190   Click image for larger version

Name:	lift2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	328191   Click image for larger version

Name:	lift1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	328192  

Trending Topics

Old 06-11-2012, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input guys. Probably going to go with the RC kit. Going to do a bit more research on the matter. Then......pics to come soon.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:41 AM
JK Freak

The Rusty's kit includes front and rear adjustable trackbars. If you're going anything larger than 2.5" I recommend a kit that includes trackbar brackets or adjustable trackbars. If you're going 3.5 you may also want to look into adjustable lower control arms so you can maintain proper suspension geometry.

Micah
Old 06-12-2012, 06:39 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Let us know if you have any questions on any of our products or just want to chat Jeep. Whatever you do decide good luck wit the build! We hope to see a new lifted JK on here in the near future.

RK

Quick Reply: Buying my Lift. Need Help.