Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Buyer Beware!!! Olympic 4x4 Products Xtreme Double Slider Bars

Old 10-11-2011, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was lucky, I did buy their Rock Sliders, but did not like the looks so the company took them back (uninstalled and in same shipping boxes) and I installed Smitybilt and could not be happier - they rock.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wrote them off as a serious company several years ago. the funny part is that it was because of their nerf bars (sliders it would seem these days)

a friend had them (olympic) on his jeep and i was running a set of Smittybilt bars (this is back before they went to shit as a brand too). both jeeps were of similar height and capability. on one trail ride he managed to mangle BOTH of his olympic bars while the worst thing that i got was some deep scratches. on one obstacle my jeep was full supported on one bar and then drug on that bar for several inches. his jeep managed to not make as much contact but it bent the bar beyond anything that should be acceptable.

buy parts and accessories from companies that give a shit about the products they make. it's easy to separate the places that make parts for *real* jeep guys and the ones that make parts for *mall* jeeps.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cidd
powder coat is crap for the outside of a vehicle once it gets a chip the metal under will rust and spread under the powder coating untill it bubbels the coating and pops kind of like a big rusty zit . I always try to buy unpainted stuff and paint it myself if I have to buy it with a painted surface I always sand it down and repaint it. The painted stuff you buy never has a good primer under it let alone a good quality paint on top so I strip it and use a good automotive epoxy primer and give it three good coats let it dry for a coupel of days in a hot garadge and then I thin down some rustolium hammer finish and spray three good coats of it on to the part. I like the hammer finish stuff myself it can really take a beating and its easy to touch up.

I have to agree with this, powdercoating is not so great for an area exposed to possible chips and dents. It is difficult to repair and will encourage rust to spread under it.

I've had an Olympic Rock rear bumper for 2 years with not one issue. On the other hand, my Smittybilt front bumper looks like crap with all the chips and dings in the powdercoat. It's beginning to rust and I'm trying to decide if I want to try to repair it or get another front bumper....maybe a Poison Spider?

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having, I contacted Olympic via email no problem.

Quick Reply: Buyer Beware!!! Olympic 4x4 Products Xtreme Double Slider Bars