Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Busted Yoke-Axle ... It looks painful. Sounds it took.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by captjay
hmmmm your axles did not come assembled with the u-joint???

if i'm not mistaken, the u-joint needs to be pressed in. each time i ordered an axle for the d30, everything was already assembled and just slid the old axle out and new one in

Nope =( I'm thinking of taking them down to 4wheelparts and have them assemble them because I'm afraid I might jack them up. What do you think? It's doable? or no? I saw some videos of someone using a hammer and a socket... but ... that "nervouses' me"
Old 10-27-2010, 07:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by feroxjb
Nope =( I'm thinking of taking them down to 4wheelparts and have them assemble them because I'm afraid I might jack them up. What do you think? It's doable? or no? I saw some videos of someone using a hammer and a socket... but ... that "nervouses' me"
personal opinion is that if you feel nervous or uncomfortable about doing it, then pay someone who can do it. i have heard of the hammer and socket method, but i am like you with some parts, little nervous to mess something up. maybe someone else can chime in and verify the need for pressing in the u-joint. sometimes spending that little bit extra $$ is worth it
Old 10-27-2010, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Choices.. choices.. 4 Wheel Parts already got around $1800 bucks from me this past week.. (I bought a winch and a bumper too!)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g76yO...=88&playnext=2

This guy makes it look really easy.. even though it's a rear drive shaft he's doing..............................
Old 10-27-2010, 08:19 PM
JK Freak

i checked through some of my old posts and the answers i got back then is the u-joint needs to be pressed in.

i believe on older jeeps, the hammer method would work, but does not seem so for the JK. the hammer might work but i would advise against it.

btw, your new axle, is it stock or an aftermarket?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I replaced them with AlloyUSA chromolys. Hopefully they'll last longer with the locker.. the stock driver side lasted about a week after the locker got installed.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by feroxjb
I replaced them with AlloyUSA chromolys. Hopefully they'll last longer with the locker.. the stock driver side lasted about a week after the locker got installed.
i apologize, i was speaking of stock axles. i would recommend calling the manufacturer and asking if you need to press them in or if you can use a hammer and go from there. unless someone on here who has assembled those axles or knowledge of.

sorry can't help past this point
Old 10-27-2010, 09:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The axles and U-joints aren't a difficult install. I installed the U-joints with a hammer and some sockets as I wanted to know that I could do this on the trail if needed. You can also do this using a bench top vise. I would recommend a heavy duty U-joint. Many people feel that the U-joint should be the weak link, but as you can see when the U-joint fails it takes out the axle and sometimes other stuff as well. Here is the write-up from awhile back.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ont+axle+shaft
Old 10-27-2010, 09:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenB1010
The axles and U-joints aren't a difficult install. I installed the U-joints with a hammer and some sockets as I wanted to know that I could do this on the trail if needed. You can also do this using a bench top vise. I would recommend a heavy duty U-joint. Many people feel that the U-joint should be the weak link, but as you can see when the U-joint fails it takes out the axle and sometimes other stuff as well. Here is the write-up from awhile back.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ont+axle+shaft
Thanks bro! Thats pretty helpful! I guess I'll try and 'wing it'! I'll keep updating.. for better or worse!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

You may want to go ahead and look at putting some gussets on your Cs too.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redx08
You may want to go ahead and look at putting some gussets on your Cs too.
More money!!!!! .. I can't... Stop... spending.......!

You sir.. are what is referred to in psychology circles as an Enabler.

Quick Reply: Busted Yoke-Axle ... It looks painful. Sounds it took.