Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Busted U-joint in my just sold JK...

Old 07-28-2008, 08:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Busted U-joint in my just sold JK...

the dude i sold my 07 JK to just sent me this picture...

I told him i would fix it for him, b/c i know he could not have wheeled it hard enough so quick to break it, so i'm sure it was either broken b4 and I just didn't notice, or maybe I just stressed it too much and it just broke? either way, can i just replace the whole axle shaft and be done with it? or is it fixable with out buying a new axle shaft??

Any advice? I really don't think any dealerships would cover under warranty, and I feel like I should fix it for him b/c I don't think he could without some help.

so what I should do to fix?

Thanks for the help! and this is one reason why i'm so stoked to have a new Rubicon with the 44 up front
Old 07-28-2008, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Warranty should definitely cover that.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It's a fairly basic u-joint replacement. It's a weak point on the JK and he may consider upgrading the shafts at some point. However in the short term, any competent mechanic should be able to replace the ujoint in under an hour. That's if the mileage limitations of the warranty have been exceeded otherwise the dealer is responsible for the repair. Although the Jeep should be driven as little as possible and certainly not at high speeds with a busted u-joint. Just a matter of time until the shaft binds and does more damage!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:23 AM
JK Junkie

You should just be able to change the U-joint if the yokes look ok and dont have any cracks.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To me, the words "just sold" release you from any responsibility. When he rips an axle out from under it because he jumped a stump goin 50 MPH in the woods, be prepared to fix that too. Did you use a standard bill of sale? If so, then somewhere on it are these two words, "AS IS". Don't get me wrong, I'm all for bein a stand up guy and all that, but somewhere you gotta look out for yourself. It's not like you crawled under the Jeep in his driveway and broke the ujoint. It's not your baby anymore. If you fix it anyway, let me know the next time you gotta vehicle for sale. It might be somethin I'm lookin for.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HITMONEY
I applaud him and wish there were more like him.... ESPECIALLY Jeepers.

As do I. I was just reminding him that he's not obligated, and to look out for himself. None of can tell from the pic, that either or both sides of the axle may be ruined. In other words, it could be a costly repair. Probably not, but could be. I was only trying to show the other side of the coin is all.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:23 PM
JK Freak

Doesn't look like the U-joint failed. Just the clip that holds the cap in. In most cases the u-joint cross holds up. Just the same old Dana 44 half clip problem. Aftermarket shafts are machined for the full clips, or you can tack weld the caps on the stock shafts.

You are pretty lucky if the ears on the shaft are not deformed....and way too nice to pay for this after the sale.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:39 PM
JK Freak

Default I applaud you

I applaud you for being a stand up guy. You set a good example for all of us. The world needs more people like you. i hope you have a great day.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:47 PM
JK Freak

your doing the right thing by making this repair for him , ive seen this happen so many times on these mine look more rusted in at this time but im wondering if we should just spot weld the caps on now or just wait and see what happens
Old 07-28-2008, 02:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Well I know I would not have to pay for or fix this, but I would not have sold it if I knew it was bad or about to go. So I figure that it was my own wear and tear on it that caused it to go bad even after it was sold. I know he didn't take it off road or anything yet. I just felt bad for him ya know? Like I don't want people to think I tried to rip them off or sell them some junk.

But good news, the Jeep dealership that I have had all my warranty work done, is fixing for him and even gave him a loaner!! I called them and told them what was going on and they hooked him up. That makes me feel a lot better ya know? I would have fixed it and paid for the parts my self, but I'm glad that they dealership stepped up and took care of it, didn't even question the abuse, or locker, or gears, or lift or tires

So it's a good day, he's happy and and he will have a nice rig to go tear up on the trails hopefully we can get him to join this site and get out on the trails with us

Quick Reply: Busted U-joint in my just sold JK...