Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bushwacker or Xenon Flat Fender Flares

Old 08-06-2011, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor
Well that is baited simplistic and opinionated info.

The general concensus is that Xenon flares will droop over time and sag pretty good and have soft plastic content. Xenon has a far easier mounting steup than BW's but their nitserts can be a bastage to install in the rears. Xenon's hold wicked tight to the body and BW's hold wicked tight to the rail that gets mounted to the body. BW's are rigid plastic fenders that utilize oem support and wheel well linings. BW's also can be a pain in the fanny to install as well with their "Rail" mounting system but do not require any new holes to be drilled which is a plus.

(Flares as they have come to be known) are far better on the jeep itself when it comes down to additional body damage from a serious hit to the fenders.

Metal tube fenders allbeit awesome, have hard mounting points that transmit bump and grind energy right to their prospective points and parts inbetween bending panels and the like on the Jeep itself. Also when a metal fender does get whackolied it is therefore bent and a few minutes with a hairdrier on low and cold water won't bring them back true again.

Co$t is another factor too. BW's are usually found from the 4-500 range. Many Metal fenders are in the 4-500 range for the fronts only.

But hey I am partial after all

[IMG][/IMG]
Tool Time, these wide Flares make your Tires look really small when I'm sure they are not.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

meh its all in the angle of the shot ..... Heeyyyyy wait a sec that gives me an idea
Old 08-06-2011, 10:11 AM
JK Freak

Well that is baited simplistic and opinionated info.

The general concensus is that Xenon flares will droop over time and sag pretty good and have soft plastic content. Xenon has a far easier mounting steup than BW's but their nitserts can be a bastage to install in the rears. Xenon's hold wicked tight to the body and BW's hold wicked tight to the rail that gets mounted to the body. BW's are rigid plastic fenders that utilize oem support and wheel well linings. BW's also can be a pain in the fanny to install as well with their "Rail" mounting system but do not require any new holes to be drilled which is a plus.

(Flares as they have come to be known) are far better on the jeep itself when it comes down to additional body damage from a serious hit to the fenders.

Metal tube fenders allbeit awesome, have hard mounting points that transmit bump and grind energy right to their prospective points and parts inbetween bending panels and the like on the Jeep itself. Also when a metal fender does get whackolied it is therefore bent and a few minutes with a hairdrier on low and cold water won't bring them back true again.

Co$t is another factor too. BW's are usually found from the 4-500 range. Many Metal fenders are in the 4-500 range for the fronts only.

But hey I am partial after all

[IMG][/IMG]

The xenon narrow fender flares sag? I know they get hot as hell. The material of the xenon reminds me of something off a a bumper car. I might be wrong, but it seems similar...
Old 08-06-2011, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

What kind of flare is on that white Project JK Jeep?
Old 08-06-2011, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jasonquick
Pretty sure they are stock trimmed flares.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jusaplaya
The xenon narrow fender flares sag?
I dunnow about the Narrows but there is a ton of BW VS Xenon threads here on the forum and a few posts from xenon users do have something to say about saggage.

Originally Posted by jasonquick
Trimmed OEM
Old 08-06-2011, 10:32 AM
JK Super Freak

meh its all in the angle of the shot ..... Heeyyyyy wait a sec that gives me an idea

There angle change helps LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0064.jpg
Views:	1253
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	191384  
Old 08-06-2011, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bushwackers were a slight PIA to put on but mostly because when I did it the temp was well over 100. The high temp did make it easy to trim the fender pants with a utility knife. I prefer the BW look. Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1993.jpg
Views:	4119
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	191386Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1994.jpg
Views:	1740
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	191387Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1995.jpg
Views:	1680
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	191388
Old 08-06-2011, 10:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by gtrman33
Bushwackers were a slight PIA to put on but mostly because when I did it the temp was well over 100. The high temp did make it easy to trim the fender pants with a utility knife. I prefer the BW look. Attachment 191386Attachment 191387Attachment 191388

I used one of these on the inner fenders. It was a lot faster. The plastic is like lava when you use it. Very hot and it goes everywhere. You definitely need safety glasses.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default xenon narrows

I chose the Xenon narrows cause i really liked the smoother edged lip and the narrower coverage to give me more of a wider looking stance. I've had them since the spring and no sag even with the 90+ heat we've been having

Click image for larger version

Name:	025.jpg
Views:	2169
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	191424

Quick Reply: Bushwacker or Xenon Flat Fender Flares