Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bushwacker Flat Flares

Old 02-23-2020, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bushwacker Flat Flares

Is it just me or are Bushwacker flares the biggest PITA to install. Not only is the design horrible for installation but the product leaves a lot to be desired. Plenty trimming of excess plastic and I actually received a defective bracket that I have to get replaced. Spent all weekend trying to install these things and after 6 hours finally finished the rears. Started the fronts and then realized the defective bracket. Passenger bracket was actually almost 1/2” wider than the drivers side, no way to make it work. Lining up the holes with the clips is almost impossible when the clips constantly move. Come on Bushwacker get your stuff together and make a better product with better quality control!
Old 02-23-2020, 07:15 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

They're even more fun to re-install if you happen to bust one off. I hope you don't wheel much and that those will stay on the pavement. It's not just that they will break if you look at them wrong, they can actually cause quite a bit of damage to your jeep due to the way they mount and disperse pressure (on the thin sheet metal rather than rigid seams).....especially in the rear.

In fact, those POS flares are the reason I have PSC corner armor. It was the only way to cover up damage caused by those flares.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
They're even more fun to re-install if you happen to bust one off. I hope you don't wheel much and that those will stay on the pavement. It's not just that they will break if you look at them wrong, they can actually cause quite a bit of damage to your jeep due to the way they mount and disperse pressure (on the thin sheet metal rather than rigid seams).....especially in the rear.

In fact, those POS flares are the reason I have PSC corner armor. It was the only way to cover up damage caused by those flares.
yeah man I wish I would’ve done more research before buying these. I don’t do any off-roading at all so once on they should be fine hopefully. Can’t believe BW puts out a product like this.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I installed them and did not have the problems. My only issue was after i installed them i never liked how they looked. I found they are tougher than they look and were solid. Not bounce or pivot around a boulder tough but i did the dusy ershim and rubbed a fair amount of trees.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jadmt
I installed them and did not have the problems. My only issue was after i installed them i never liked how they looked. I found they are tougher than they look and were solid. Not bounce or pivot around a boulder tough but i did the dusy ershim and rubbed a fair amount of trees.
my problem is they fit so tight the clips move when sliding fenders on and I can’t find the holes to screw into. Is there a trick?
Old 02-24-2020, 10:10 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Carylab
my problem is they fit so tight the clips move when sliding fenders on and I can’t find the holes to screw into. Is there a trick?
yes use an awl to line up the holes.

I used this video

Old 02-24-2020, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jadmt
yes use an awl to line up the holes.

I used this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOA5wCZla8I
yeah I used the same video and an awl and they just move to much for the awl to find the hole.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:16 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

For some reason I thought of this thread and one more thing to be extra careful off even when on the pavement. If you ever take your doors off and forget the to rehook the limiting straps, or if one of those busts (had one snap in high wind), better watch out cuz if that door swings open, not only will you get the common cowl dimples, but those front flares will be so kinda as to leave a big ass crease in your front doors. I'm fortunate enough that my front doors match......a nice long crease on both of them!
Old 03-10-2020, 06:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Yes, they are a pain to install.

Quick Reply: Bushwacker Flat Flares