Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bushwacker Fender Flares

Old 10-30-2007, 10:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oZmonKey
Look up pics of SlickWills jeep... they look alot better with big nasty mud tires under them.
Yup, I forgot he had some.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bondsman
I put them on. They stick out about 2 inches further. I have some pics of one side installed so you can see the difference with stock tires.
Bondsman, how did the install go. There website says "No vehicle body side drilling or cutting - installs using the existing factory holes " but it looks like the screw holes on the bushwackers are a lot higher.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:10 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Red Rubi
Bondsman, how did the install go. There website says "No vehicle body side drilling or cutting - installs using the existing factory holes " but it looks like the screw holes on the bushwackers are a lot higher.
Arent the top screw holes fake? I think you have to cut up the OEM fender and re-use the inner part...
Old 10-30-2007, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bly109
Arent the top screw holes fake? I think you have to cut up the OEM fender and re-use the inner part...
The OEM fenders are not modified in any way. My Sahara fenders are in the basement now. You have to cut up the inner fender that holds the side marker. You also have to cut the actual side marker holder to fit the new fenders. I skipped a few steps and left the splash shield attached to the inner fender and cut it with a saw by hand. You have to drill a hole in each of the splash shields as well. The top torx bolts are not fake, they screw in.

They were a PITA to install, but I managed to get it done solo.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

It was pretty easy to install. The original ones just rip right out of there.. Bushwacker warns that you will hear some popping and clips will break but that is normal. They were right.. When I ripped the first one off, I had to take a min just to make sure everything was right.
Once you pull them off, you have to drill out the plastic rivits that hold the inner fender to the flare cuz you reuse the inner fender. There was some cutting on the front plastic inner fender well but it was pretty straight forward.
It was easy as long as you take your time. I didn't run into any problems until I got to the last flare, the right front flare (and only after I had said that this was going too good to be true) I had to use an air ratchet to get two of the torx bolts to bite.
I have to admit, I saw Slickwill's JK and that is what made me get them. In the near future it will be finished and I will post pics with it lifted and 37 inch Toyos under it.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re:

I agree with you toycop, they were a bit of a PITA....the front ones take the longest as you have to cut around the marker light to fit it into the Bushwacker flares. You can install them solo and there is nothing hard or technical about it; just rather time consuming.

On a side note: Bodybrdng, I see you got your JK at Steve White; I also purchased mine from them. Are you happy with your thus far? I was really apprehensive as I purchased mine from them off of Ebay, but I couldn't be any more happy with it. It was exactly what I wanted and even though I live across the country, it arrived off of the transport with a full tank of gas and fully detailed, etc...Little things like that really speak volumes about the dealer in my book.

Back to the original thought...Here are the pics of the flares on my rig. I like them, but really think they are going to look better when I get a higher lift on; as is they are coupled with a Teraflex 2.5" BB and 35's w/1.5" spacers.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by really_good_guy
I agree with you toycop, they were a bit of a PITA....the front ones take the longest as you have to cut around the marker light to fit it into the Bushwacker flares. You can install them solo and there is nothing hard or technical about it; just rather time consuming.

On a side note: Bodybrdng, I see you got your JK at Steve White; I also purchased mine from them. Are you happy with your thus far? I was really apprehensive as I purchased mine from them off of Ebay, but I couldn't be any more happy with it. It was exactly what I wanted and even though I live across the country, it arrived off of the transport with a full tank of gas and fully detailed, etc...Little things like that really speak volumes about the dealer in my book.

Back to the original thought...Here are the pics of the flares on my rig. I like them, but really think they are going to look better when I get a higher lift on; as is they are coupled with a Teraflex 2.5" BB and 35's w/1.5" spacers.

Looking real good there. I need to get lifted and bigger meats underneath, but I'll probably wait until Spring. Who makes that rear corner protection? I've been looking for some, but I wasn't sure if they would fit with the flares. I dig the Mopar light protection too.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Really good guy, that was my pics that were properly posted by Bodybrdng ( I was having some technical difficulties. ) Sweet ride by the way! I agree with you on the Steve White motors. They were awesome! Without a doubt, I would definitely buy from them again. Rick Poteat was my salesman and he was just as nice as can be. I ran across them on Ebay as well. My Rubi was not listed, but I called them up, told them what I wanted, he ran out to the lot and found it, then sold it to me at invoice. Gotta love the no haggling and and no ridiculous markups. IT was delivered the following weekend.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:15 PM
JK Super Freak

The Bushwackers look nice and aren't too hard to install. The only bad thing I can say about them is they are not bendable, they are very stiff. They stick out 2" more than the stock flares, and if you are planning on running any tight trails where you will end up rubbing trees, etc. you WILL break one eventually. They will crack like fiberglass. I have seen it happen many times on TJ's, and the ones for the JK are made from the same material. A common thing to happen on the TJ's is the holes around the bolts crack, and you keep having to put bigger washers under the bolt heads to hold them on, and eventually you can't put a washer on big enough to cover the cracked hole.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bondsman - Yeah I also went through Rick and was actually overseas at the time, really easy to deal with. Man, when u get those 37's on make sure to post pics! That is going to look great.

Toycop - They are the rear corner guards from AEV. I actually installed them prior to the flares, but still had no issues with the fit. If you already have the flares on it will definitely be no problem as you actually drill your own holes for the guards. They obviously cant be moved much, but there is enough of a cut out around the tail light that you can slide them up or down a bit as required while installing them. If you decide to get them, check out the write up section, I know someone did a pretty good write up on the installation.

Last edited by really_good_guy; 10-30-2007 at 06:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Bushwacker Fender Flares