Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bumpy ride

Old 02-10-2023, 04:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumpy ride

Hello, I have 2 door JK. I had the AEV 2.5inch DualSport suspension for a while but I removed the shocks and installed the Fox 2.5 series internal bypass shocks. My ride is bumpy as hell. I currently have the rubicon front and rear metal bumpers with the front metal skid plates, Teraflex 8 arm sport control arm kit, Front and rear Teraflex trackbars, and Teraflex drag link and tie rod while I run 33inch BF Goodrich tires on about 30-35 psi. I've adjusted my shocks to the smoothest and roughest setting yet they feel the same. Do I need to add extra weight to make my ride less bumpy? Do I need to change the springs? Also I have stock bump stops. Keep in mind I usually ride alone or with one passanger. Thank you.
Old 02-10-2023, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
I believe those Fox shocks are quite firm riding. If the Jeep rode ok prior then the shocks are the culprit. I run Rocksports from Metalcloak and they are ok. I long for the old days of double acting hydraulic shocks. They say hydraulics heat fade but most people are not jumping over ruts and dunes at 60mph. Hydraulics ride nice and gas shocks all ride like a buckboard wagon. Also tire ratings of C ride better than E. Not a big selection of C's for us though.
Old 02-10-2023, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 410 Likes on 385 Posts

Do a Tire Chalk Test for air pressure.. you might find you should be less than currently running.. I run the same AEV lift to; it came with Bilsteins .. no issue no bumpy .. and we're on 35x12.50s load E on 17x9 wheels at 27 psi. If your changing the shocks increased or started your Bumpy.. ??
Old 02-13-2023, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry for the late reply. Jeep rode rough tbh but now even worse with the new fox adjustable shocks.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
Welcome to the forum.
I believe those Fox shocks are quite firm riding. If the Jeep rode ok prior then the shocks are the culprit. I run Rocksports from Metalcloak and they are ok. I long for the old days of double acting hydraulic shocks. They say hydraulics heat fade but most people are not jumping over ruts and dunes at 60mph. Hydraulics ride nice and gas shocks all ride like a buckboard wagon. Also tire ratings of C ride better than E. Not a big selection of C's for us though.
Sorry for the late reply. Jeep rode rough tbh but now even worse with the new fox adjustable shocks.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
Do a Tire Chalk Test for air pressure.. you might find you should be less than currently running.. I run the same AEV lift to; it came with Bilsteins .. no issue no bumpy .. and we're on 35x12.50s load E on 17x9 wheels at 27 psi. If your changing the shocks increased or started your Bumpy.. ??
Ride was bumpy but even worse now. I'll do a chalk test to figure it out. Do you still use the AEV springs?
Old 02-13-2023, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 410 Likes on 385 Posts

Yes, still running the entire AEV 2.5 Dual Sport on the JKU. I do have Rancho Correction brackets to level out the control arms and put caster back close to stock. Ride is good, would say equal or better than Stock.

Quick Reply: Bumpy ride