Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bumpstop extensions needed?

Old 10-10-2011, 09:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumpstop extensions needed?

I've got a TF leveling kit and JKU Rubi takeoff springs on my 2011 JK 2dr Sport. I measured the total lift I have and my front axle is lower by 2 inches. The rear is 1 inch. That's fully laden with all my aftermarket stuff - bumpers, winch, etc.

Question is, being that this is a fairly modest amount of lift, will I need to consider bumpstop extensions?

Looking for the JK gurus to provide some advice. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2011, 09:36 AM
JK Junkie

Bump stop extensions are needed if:

- your tires will rub the body or fenders in full stuff (might be an issue with your tires/wheel offset, IDK)
- you will over compress and damage your shocks on full stuff (your OEM Rubi's will be fine)
- you will over compress and damage your springs on full stuff (I think you're fine)

In short, test it and find out if your tires rub when your swaybar is disconnected. You will probably rub on your front fenders so you might think about cutting them or extending your stops. Or, if it's not too bad, don't worry about it.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have jku ruby takeoffs, 3/4" pucks up front.. I am thinking about this too... I have no aftermarket weight... No problem in front disconnected at full flex locked, but wheel slightly rubs the inner plastic in the rear whell... I am gonna use 1 1/8 rubber mat and mount on the rear bump perch (the one on the bottom) .....plus I'm on 1.5 spacers on stock rims...
Old 10-10-2011, 01:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tslewisz
In short, test it and find out if your tires rub when your swaybar is disconnected. You will probably rub on your front fenders so you might think about cutting them or extending your stops. Or, if it's not too bad, don't worry about it.
Thanks for the reply. I was worried about messing up my springs mostly and I do rub a little against my RR flat fender light pods at full flex (more of an annoyance than a problem).

Are there disadvantages of using bumpstop extensions? Do you lose articulation?
Old 10-11-2011, 06:34 AM
JK Junkie

Since they limit uptravel, yes.

Quick Reply: Bumpstop extensions needed?