Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bumpers...where to begin!

Old 04-01-2013, 09:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ESDSKeith
Nice photos. Do you have one with your whole tire carrier in it. How does that stay latched closed? I don't see anything on the driver side.
keith,,, the tire carrier is attached to the tailgate via a couple of eyelet ball joints,, or heim joints,,, there is a steel plate attached to the center of the tailgate where the vent is. there is a flange off of that and the heim attaches to the flange and a flange on the tire carrier. the lower driver's side of the tire carrier also sits on a plastic ramped block that supports the weight. Sorry, dont have any pics,, check out M.O.R.E.'s websight
Old 04-02-2013, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

Default Great forum

Thanks to all for all the info so far. Great to have such help on this forum. You people ROCK!
I am thinking about going with the teraflex tire mount. Then attacking the front bumper with a stubby and winch. Someone also told me to get rid of my stock step rails and get rock crawlers so that I don't damage the frame on my wrangler!
I have never had so much fun with a vehicle...can not wait to hit the off roads!
Old 04-02-2013, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

Default Canister

What is this evap canister for? I do see it needs relocated. Is that on all Wranglers or Just Rubicons? Mine is a 2010 Sport unlimited.

Keith

Originally Posted by caveman8fb
Yeah the Warn comes with a pretty good powder coating. The bumper install was not easy, getting all the bolts to lineup before tightening was difficult. The winch install looks easy, although I haven't put mine on yet since my cover was delayed (synthetic).

The install calls for cutting off part of the evap canister mount, and grinding a hole to allow a large bolt to fit. The bigger the hole the better as the bracket is difficult to lineup and the more wiggle room the better.

The install will go easier if you have somebody to help you and an air ratchet, both of which I did not have.

Warn Stubby Installation Instructions
Old 04-02-2013, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

What is this evap canister for? I do see it needs relocated. Is that on all Wranglers or Just Rubicons? Mine is a 2010 Sport unlimited.

Keith
It is part of the emission control system, it is used to store fuel vapor while the engine is cold.

I am pretty sure it only needs to be relocated on 2012-13 models. You are lucky, I had to grind part of the bracket off of my still new 2013.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot to mention Genright support was very disappointing, still love the carrier though.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:00 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Keith
I was something someone in the government thought it would be a good idea for every vehicle to have. So now we have them.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

I was told by a bumper vendor that the canister is only on 2012's and up. Anyone know any truth to this?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hanson midwidth up front, no moving fog lights or evap canister.
Expedition One with spare tire carrier on the rear. Just added their fuel can carrier, nice clean setup
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1153477598.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	444972   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-728306483.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	444973  
Old 04-10-2013, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have you checked out fab fours front stubby and rear bumper with tire carrier. You can keep your stock fogs and mount a winch on top whenever you decide to. Im running the rear bumper with tire carrier with my 35" and it is silent on and off road. I run the full width front and love it, would have gone with the stubby but wanted more coverage for deer impacts.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

Default nice setup

[
Nice clean setup. Nice photos. I just ordered the teraflex tire carrier mount from Quadratic. Received it today.
Plan on installing it on Thursday. Thinking about a stubby. Would like to see the winch in the bumper a bit. I read if you keep your factory fogs with a stubby or mid width, that the bumper will stick out farther. Website said factory fogs are 5 1/2" long. Does that little extra length out the front make a difference offroading?

QUOTE=jkbarnett;3511348]Hanson midwidth up front, no moving fog lights or evap canister.
Expedition One with spare tire carrier on the rear. Just added their fuel can carrier, nice clean setup[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Bumpers...where to begin!