Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bumpers...where to begin!

Old 03-31-2013, 04:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumpers...where to begin!

Ok, I have been looking at aftermarket bumpers for a few months. I'm leaning toward the teraflex hinge mount for my 35's over a bumper mount. I took the wheel off factory mount due to it sounding like the hinges are going to break.
Before I purchase the bumpers, what unknown things should I be aware of? I hate to purchase one and be sorry later that I made the wrong choice.

I will eventually want a winch.
I would prefer to be able to re use my factory fogs.
I want a grill bar.
I stubby in the front is fine, or maybe one that could have end caps be added on to later.
Is there a guide anywhere that compares all the many types available out there?
I usually do not have this difficult of a time making a purchase.

2010 Wrangler 4dr unlimited sport, 4" lift, 17" wheels, 35 tires, tuck away cat back exhaust.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:16 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I think gen right has the nicest carrier out there if you are going to run a spare, otherwise if I were going to be buying a bumper I would look at poison spyder or gen right aluminum models.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I run GenRight's aluminum bumper in front with a Warn winch and a GenRight steel bumper in rear. Very happy with the looks and quality. I actually chose GenRight after searching for several months and doing research on this forum and others, only to find out that they were located 10 miles away! So before I ordered I went to their shop and was impressed with the quality. Also got to look at their many modified Jeeps and the King of the Hammers buggy!!

I also like Hanson and PoisonSpider as well.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

Just looked at those. Looks pretty slick. How strong is an aluminum bumper? I see it is 30lbs lighter than the steel. Do you know how the hinges on the genright are compared to the teraflex tire carrier? Looks like the OEM gate hinges are still used, hard to tell by the video and photos, and I don't see that info on website.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:41 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Do searches on this forum, jkowners, and jkfreaks. There are a couple of guys I know are running them and can give you some personal insight.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ESDSKeith
Just looked at those. Looks pretty slick. How strong is an aluminum bumper? I see it is 30lbs lighter than the steel. Do you know how the hinges on the genright are compared to the teraflex tire carrier? Looks like the OEM gate hinges are still used, hard to tell by the video and photos, and I don't see that info on website.
The stock hinges only hold up the tailgate, new brackets share the same mounting location but they are extremely strong. I run genright front and rear bumpers in steel with the tire carrier in aluminum. Awesome set up you won't be disappointed. The aluminum tire carrier is strong as hell and holds up to a 42 inch tire.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not only is the GenRight aluminum tire carrier strong as hell,..... but it looks awesome too.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Genright steel rear here and Poison spyder BFH Trail stinger.

I think deciding on which combo is best for you takes time. I would say I have 200+ hours in research an planning before I bought what I did. Each situation is unique, I opted for a drop down tailgate which eliminated quite a bit up front and still took a ton of time to decide.

The most important part is to settle on the look/function you want then just search away, look for everything good and bad you can find which will really help push you in one direction or the other.

I know I am being vague and indecisive, but it's really a personal preference. Part of my own decision was based upon what people were not running around me, everyone seemed to have a rugged ridge bumper so that was always out for me.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks. Do they have the aluminum in black or just the steel? Does your front bumpers protect underside at all? Looks like I'm going to have to give them a call on Monday!
Old 03-31-2013, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Yes, I have been researching for quite some time now too and still have not made up my mind. I need to see some more pictures. I agree, it is a big preference thing and also you do want something unique also. I live in town with a jeep dealer and you are waving all day long when you drive around here with so many Jeeps, but mine is already getting some heads turning! I also want good function too.

Quick Reply: Bumpers...where to begin!