Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bumpers, Stubby Bumpers, Winch Bumpers, Ugh!

Old 12-06-2019, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bumpers, Stubby Bumpers, Winch Bumpers, Ugh!

So, I have an 2018 JK Freedom edition that came with the factory installed AEV bumpers that I want to install a winch on. Turns out the factory install AEV bumpers are slightly different from the aftermarket AEV bumpers, something about the crush cans blah blah blah. Anyhoo... was planning to lift/35's/flat fenders and stubby bumper in 3 or 4 years after it's paid off and becomes a 2nd vehicle instead of my sole transportation. I thought $100 - $150 to add a winch mount kit wouldn't be to excessive if I kept it for 3-4 years before changing to a stubby. Problem is a winch mount kit for the OE AEV bumper is $285 which is over half the cost of the stubby bumpers I'm considering. So now I've gotta decide to stick with what I have and invest money into it for the short term or sell it and invest in the future build....
Any words of wisdom are appreciated.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,945 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Sell it and buy a stubby you like. No sense throwing more money at something you're trying to make work in the near-term. Also, you'll not recoupe that money spent on the winch kit IMO.
The following users liked this post:
D-Dub (12-06-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 02:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I think you're right. Was hoping to get the winch mounted a little cheaper is all.

Quick Reply: Bumpers, Stubby Bumpers, Winch Bumpers, Ugh!