Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bumper questions from a newbie

Old 11-02-2013, 08:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper questions from a newbie

Greetings all. I just (last Tuesday) traded up to a '14 Wrangler Sport from my beater TJ with about 200K on the clock and rust holes big enough to throw a cat through. Couldn't be happier, by far the nicest and newest thing I've ever owned. And with all the venison on the roads here abouts, an aftermarket bumper with grill gaurd is going to be my first investment to keep it looking that way. So here is my question: From what I've read, replacing the stock bumper with an aftermarket sans crush cans has the potential to permit the airbag to deploy in low speed collisions where it otherwise may not with the stock configuration. Having had an airbag go off in my face (not fun, managed to fracture my wrist on my own nose, breaking the nose of course in the process) I'd rather not have this happen. Baring the pricey option of the AEV with cans, I was thinking maybe there is some other way to engineer a bit of "give" into the system? Some years back I was considering bolting a couple heavy-duty rubber loading dock bumpers on the push bumper of my 1 ton. At the time I was only thinking it would be handy for moving vehicles around with out doing too much damage, but couldn't this also work to soften low speed impacts and prevent the airbag from deploying? Any thoughts?
Old 11-02-2013, 08:42 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the JK-Forum
Old 11-03-2013, 03:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome and congrats on the new rig!

The air bags are triggered by several accelerometers within the cab of the Jeep. They measure speed, angle, g-force, etc.

If loosing the crush cans is a concern to you AEV and MOPAR bumpers have provisions to maintain them.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:12 AM
JK Junkie

Congrats on the new rig and welcome to the forum.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the welcome! The way I understand it the cans have nothing whatsoever to do with actual airbag deployment, that being controlled by the accelerometers, however they do reduce low speed impact forces, thus these forces never reach the accelerometers and the airbag does not go off in a six mph collision when it is not needed. Seems to me that the rubber pads mounted on semi loading docks are designed to do the same thing and may be a cheaper way to retrofit an aftermarket bumper for a bit of added peace of mind
Old 11-03-2013, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

If you can recover a couple of the cats you threw through the floorboard of the TJ you can strap to the front of the new bumper as crush cats.

Quick Reply: Bumper questions from a newbie