Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bumper question (winch & airbag related)- which bumpers?

Old 04-08-2013, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Flyer
Now my mind is free regarding the front bumper. Rethinking the rear though. I was pretty set on the Exp One. However, it is attached to the stock latch...I wonder if that is too much weight on the stock latch. Maybe not, but the Metalcloak concept is pretty cool- it latches on the the bumper itself and swings on two bearings. Any downsides to this? There are a couple of others. Hard to figure this out without advice from others who may have used them.
Hey Fyer,

Why not the Warn Elite bumper? I have this bumper with the VR8000 and it sits way down in the bumper & only the control box sits up. I have no heat issues either and I go in the mountains offen. Norhtridge has a great price on the bumper and it is beautiful.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyer
Now my mind is free regarding the front bumper. Rethinking the rear though. I was pretty set on the Exp One. However, it is attached to the stock latch...I wonder if that is too much weight on the stock latch. Maybe not, but the Metalcloak concept is pretty cool- it latches on the the bumper itself and swings on two bearings. Any downsides to this? There are a couple of others. Hard to figure this out without advice from others who may have used them.
It seems that Metalcloak designed this tire carrier as an after thought, as something to add on an existing bumper design. They obviously ignored actual use.
Having the hinge of the tire stick out of the bumper is looking for trouble. It's the first thing to get hit and bent.
The other side - the latch - is as vulnerable. A hinge or latch should NOT be exposed like this.

I can recommend the Bestop HighRock rear bumper & tire carrier.
It's shape goes well with the ARB front bumper, and its tough and well made.
Made to carry up to a 40" wheel.
The hinge is massive and serviceable - can be greased.
A nice touch is that it attaches to the rear gate, via a simple but smart connection, so opening or closing the gate also swings the tire carrier (while all the load is on the bumper).
After about a year of daily driving and offroading, including some rough sprints, it doesn't rattle at all.

BTW, it also includes a roller which eases getting off a rock step (and gives extra protection for the spare wheel in such circumstances), for those who wish to put it on.

Link -
Bumpers, Steps and Tire Carriers

Last edited by GJeep; 04-08-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only reason ARB and AEV state airbag compatibility is because both front bumpers have factory like crush cans. The airbags will work with any bumper up front.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:50 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ncb
The only reason ARB and AEV state airbag compatibility is because both front bumpers have factory like crush cans. The airbags will work with any bumper up front.
Having the airbag NOT blast open when not necessary, is an advantage.
Having the bumper give in, instead of twisting the frame, is another advantage.

That's one of the reasons why I preferred the ARB front bumper over many others.
There are TOO strong bumpers out there, which would not give in, so a blow would be directly transferred to the Jeep and cause much more damage.
A properly designed bumper should protect the Jeep.

Last edited by GJeep; 04-08-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep

Having the airbag NOT blast open when not necessary, is an advantage.
Having the bumper give in, instead of twisting the frame, is another advantage.

That's one of the reasons why I preferred the ARB front bumper over many others.
There are TOO strong bumpers out there, which would not give in, so a blow would be directly transferred to the Jeep and cause much more damage.
A properly designed bumper should protect the Jeep.
True. I wasn't trying to start a debate. Just stating why the two companies advertise compatibility. I have the AEV bumper and love it.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:32 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ncb
True. I wasn't trying to start a debate. Just stating why the two companies advertise compatibility. I have the AEV bumper and love it.
No problem

...as long as it loves you back...

Quick Reply: Bumper question (winch & airbag related)- which bumpers?