Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bumper Question?

Old 02-10-2009, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper Question?

Alright my thing is i like to save money by doing it myself, so with this mod it virtually free so with that said. . . i took off the factory skin and did a lil cleaning up and put some mesh and stuff, i haven't done anything to keep me from putting the skin back on, how ever i don't mind the look. i was wondering if i could have some input or some ideas on how to make it look better... if i do keep the skin off i plan on hacking of the ugly knobs and putting some D rings on. im ordering 35's so i need the extra clearance, and the factory plastic skid will be replaced as well, so whatcha think?

Old 02-10-2009, 01:26 PM
JK Freak

Are you planning on cutting the sides off to kinda make it a stubby look?
Old 02-10-2009, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

idk, i had thought about it, i also had thought about maybe welding a bar on the top to protect the lights... any ideas are greatly appreciated
Old 02-10-2009, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 08 JK _ Cordy
idk, i had thought about it, i also had thought about maybe welding a bar on the top to protect the lights... any ideas are greatly appreciated
Cutting the sides down and then some metal to the middle to beef it might look good and keep it in a budget.But you would just have to mess with it.Keep posting pics so we can see where it goes.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:15 PM
JK Freak

If you know how to weld and are not planning on running a winch. Just go to ES steel get some 3/16in (they will cut the size you need if you have never done business with them) Once you cut the coffee cans off it will make a great template to get the bolt location for the frame.

Off the top of my head from building my front winch bumper the front plate will need to be approx 61/2 wide (you can choose your own lenght) and the top plate that will go back toward the grille will be approx 7in wide. then you could cap the ends. You will be able to add the d rings like Pure Jeep to the front and a bar to protect your lights. You will probally have about $100 in the steel plus time.

Oh before I forget. You will have to cut where the orginal bumper mounts to the frame. Im talking about the piece that bends back toward the grille. If you need any help just let me know Im not to far from you.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by popo343
If you know how to weld and are not planning on running a winch. Just go to ES steel get some 3/16in (they will cut the size you need if you have never done business with them) Once you cut the coffee cans off it will make a great template to get the bolt location for the frame.

Off the top of my head from building my front winch bumper the front plate will need to be approx 61/2 wide (you can choose your own length) and the top plate that will go back toward the grille will be approx 7in wide. then you could cap the ends. You will be able to add the d rings like Pure Jeep to the front and a bar to protect your lights. You will probably have about $100 in the steel plus time.

Oh before I forget. You will have to cut where the original bumper mounts to the frame. Im talking about the piece that bends back toward the grille. If you need any help just let me know Im not to far from you.
i cut the cans off today when i got home from work, where is ES steel located? oh and you wouldn't happen to be the policeman i talked to outside Wilmington trust would ya?
Old 02-10-2009, 03:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 08 JK _ Cordy
i cut the cans off today when i got home from work, where is ES steel located? oh and you wouldn't happen to be the policeman i talked to outside Wilmington trust would ya?
It is in the Federalsburg industral park. I dont know the road. And yes I am.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:14 AM
JK Junkie

I attacked the hooks. I just bought some metal that is 3/16 in thick that I plan to replace the stock metal with.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02840.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	19322  

Last edited by JayhawkJeep; 02-15-2009 at 09:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Bumper Question?