Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which Bumper paint ?

Old 10-17-2007, 11:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which Bumper paint ?

Would you recommend a paint to spray a steel bumper at home, ie not professionally ?

Im probably gonna be getting Nates 4x4 JK bumper below which arrives unpainted. Researching bumper paint, im seeing others have used Line-X, Bedliner, Durback, Krylon, Rustoleum, Por-15 or powder-coated etc, but are either professionally sprayed or brushed on - which is the best one to spray on in my garage ? Looking for black semi-gloss finish..thanks.

Last edited by westchester; 10-17-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I brushed 3 coats of POR 15 on mine. I sanded between coats and I freely admit I used my orbital sander with 150, 220 and 320 grit. I'd have probably still been snading it by hand. That stuff is rock hard! I then brushed two coats of the POR 15 overcoat on top. It's REAL thick and looked pretty bad after two coats. I sanded the crap out of it and once smooth went over it with three coats of Krylon Industrial. There were a few runs, but nothing a little sanding and re-touching wouldn't cure.

The three coats of the POR 15 were really all it needed, but the POR 15 is ultraviolet sensitive so the over coat really is just for looks and solar protection. That means only the top and front needed that. The Krylon final coats make re-touching a breeze.

BTW Nate's has changed its design a bit. I think for the better. It now looks like this:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-17-2007, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey westchester, You can paint it with just about any type enamel spray can paint, but if you want the paint to stay and the bumper not rust you should use a DTM (direct to metal primer) first. Check with your local Auto paint supply most of them can put any type of paint or primer you want in a spray can while you wait. Just an opinion... good luck.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:23 PM
JK Super Freak

this is why we all come to jk-forum...MANY thanks for the informed replies !!

Seer1 - Im on Krylon's website - which exact paint did you use for the final coat pls ? Presume it was aerosol form ?

I agree on the bumper change, stronger D-ring points...thanks again....

Vyper - will do..many thanks....
Old 10-17-2007, 01:06 PM
JK Junkie

It was just some stuff I picked up at Home Despot. I remember it said Industrial on the label. I'm at work right now. If you want I'll check it when I get home.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:09 PM
JK Junkie

I know some guys that have painted their bumpers with the DupliColor truck bed coating in the spray can. That stuff is hard and textured and very easy to touch up if damaged and you can't tell that it's been fixed, plus it's cheap.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:14 PM
JK Freak

You want to to prep the metal very good. sand it, use phosphates to clean it, and a self etching primer. a good paint job starts at prep.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I welded up my own bumper on my TJ,started with bare metal.I would recomend cleaning the bumper with a degreaser or dish detergent.What worked for me was after washing,I hung the bumper and used a propane torch to burn off all the moisture.Once it was cool enough to touch,I used denatured alcohol to wipe down.I then used a tack cloth to get rid of surface lint.I used a metal primer,and finished with Duplicolor truck bed liner in a spray.That thing is about 3 years old or so now,and still looks like I made it yesterday.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:36 AM
JK Junkie

POR 15 makes a great metal prep.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:48 AM
JK Super Freak

I found the Duplicolor and prep on http://www.levineautoparts.com/duptrucbedli.html and will prime with POR-15 beforehand.

Crux - The Duplicolor website doesn't provide finish details, what does yours look like pls? is it an enameled rough finish or smooth ? and matt or gloss ? many thanks...

Quick Reply: Which Bumper paint ?