Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bumper building?

Old 05-11-2007, 07:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper building?

I am consideing taking on the task of fabbing my own front bumper, shrock-esque, but a little longer. who has done this in the past and how difficult is it? my friend has a mig welder and is pretty darn good with it. is it something we could tackle?
Can you guys also please post some pics of the bumpers in more detail, perhaps how they mount and shape, etc.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2007, 07:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very simple to build bumpers. I built mine on my TJ. Figure out what you wantand buy some steel, then go to town,
Old 05-11-2007, 07:24 PM
JK Freak

how do you mount it to the frame? I know bolts, but i guess the engineering behind it? any special way?
Old 05-11-2007, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BLKRuby
I am consideing taking on the task of fabbing my own front bumper, shrock-esque, but a little longer. who has done this in the past and how difficult is it? my friend has a mig welder and is pretty darn good with it. is it something we could tackle?
Can you guys also please post some pics of the bumpers in more detail, perhaps how they mount and shape, etc.

Thanks
3 options
1) get a 20 foot length of 3/16 x4 inch or so cold rolled steel and go to town
2) get some channel steel and go to town
3) do some measurements, get angles, do a basic drawing and go to a sheet metal shop and have then brake the angles in for you and start from there.

what I do is I get a big cardboard box and make a "paper doll" template of the bumper. making holes and cutting it exactly how the finished piece will be on the vehicle and actualy mounted to the vehicle. I tape pieces cut for the ends and everything and change anything that irritates me till the cardboard looks exactly like the finished bumper i want.
then use the cardboard to mark and cut your steel.

Less waste, less time.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

how do you mount it to the frame? I know bolts, but i guess the engineering behind it? any special way?
strong

use the existing mounting/frame holes or make your own.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:36 PM
JK Freak

strong i know, but is where the bumper and frame is it just frame then the bumper or is there a spacer or block that goes sort of in the backside ofthe bumper? i know this may not make sense, i guess if i saw some pics of the back side of a bumper i would understand better.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

strong i know, but is where the bumper and frame is it just frame then the bumper or is there a spacer or block that goes sort of in the backside ofthe bumper? i know this may not make sense, i guess if i saw some pics of the back side of a bumper i would understand better.
pull yours off, not that many bolts
Sorry i have not pulled mine off yet but from pics I have seen there is 8 bolts, 4 on each frame horn with a crush can in the middle that may or may not be in the way or be cut-off-able.

I will be making my own bumpers/slider/armor as I have done it for all my own vehicles and $400 for a bumper is nice if you have cash but $400 will armor almost my entire vehicle
Old 05-11-2007, 07:49 PM
JK Freak

forgive me, but what is a crush can?
Old 05-11-2007, 08:06 PM
JK Newbie

forgive me, but what is a crush can?
metal "can" looking thing at the end of the frame horns to "crush" at a low speed impact instead of giving frame damage.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:08 PM
JK Freak

and these would be in the way? i think tommorow i gonna rip that bumper off and check it out.

Quick Reply: Bumper building?