Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bumper?

Old 03-06-2013, 10:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper?

I'm planning on replacing the front bumper on my 2013 Sahara with an off road type. Any thoughts on a good one to look at?

Thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sooooooo many options out there I'd say start by searching the web or even sites like quadretec and northridge 4x4 ect. Bumpers can become pricy so look for something you LOVE and once you pick something the guys/girls here on the forum can give you opinions on it. I have a warn stubby with a bull bar which I got for a great price from a local shop. Me personal I love the look of the stubby bumpers. Keep us posted.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me guess, your next question will be what lift is best? You will get 100 different opinions on this, look through the show and tell threads and check the different Jeep websites. Prices range from a couple hundred to well over a grand. Narrow it down to a couple you like, then search for them on here, you will find plenty of good info that way.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MRatliff
I'm planning on replacing the front bumper on my 2013 Sahara with an off road type. Any thoughts on a good one to look at?

Thanks
When it comes to bumpers there is literally hundreds of different options. You want to choose one with recovery points if you plan on wheeling the Jeep at all. Most clubs and "jamboree" type events require front and rear tow points to participate. Other than that it really comes down to styling and the options you want in it.

Some allow you to relocate your factory fog lights, others you can't do that. Most have winch mounting capabilities but there are a few that do not. Since you have a 2013 you will need the vacuum pump relocation bracket as well, so don't forget to order that along with the bumper. Installing one is very simple and with 2 people can be done in an hour or 2, and most come with very detailed instructions on how to do it.

We carry just about every option you could want as far as bumpers. Also there is free shipping on orders over $75 so you won't have to worry about shipping cost since bumpers are pretty heavy and shipping can get out of hand. Hit me up over PM or give one of our Jeep Experts a call at 800-988-4605 and we can get you all the info you need.

-Zach
Old 03-06-2013, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default bumper

I have a Nemesis Oddyssey mid-width aluminum front bumper, winch mounts low between frame rails, it fits the Warn powerplant winch, it retains factory fog lights, its ground clearnce is so good I havent scraped it yet even after 3 weeks of wheeling out west last summer.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01765.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	430454Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01700.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	430455Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01222.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	430456Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03243.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	430457Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03245.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	430458Had to through a pic of the trailer in it gets jealous if it does get some attention.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Picking out a bumper is much like picking out tires, or a lift kit. If you ask what's good on here, you'll get a lot of info about what people like, and what they have on their rigs, but less in the way of comparative info. That you really have to search for.

I went with an AEV tubeless front bumper. Is it the best deal? No. Does it work for everyone? Probably not.

Reasons I like it:

1) It's made of heavy duty steel, made here in the USA, and it's got a durable finish.

2) It has airbag crush-cans. This isn't important to most people, but in a minor frontal impact, those go first instead of the airbags. In a heavy frontal impact, it's more energy absorbtion that goes into the bumper instead of me. The bumper itself has a minimal amount of forethought put into impact safety and that's more than can be said about a lot of other bumpers.

3) It can take a big winch.

4) Hooks and tow points galore, auxiliary light mounts, and it retains the factory fog lights.

5) It does NOT have a bull bar. A bull bar is something I'd never use and it adds additional weight. It's a very unique look to have a big strong bumper and nothing covering the grille.

6) I already have the matching rear with tire carrier. I like the fact that the wheel and the door swing together and not separately.

I also had a chance to check out the Smittybuilt XRC before I purchased. It was a nice setup. I'm not sure if it was user error, or design error, but the tire carrier rattled when the Jeep was in motion.

Quick Reply: Bumper?