Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bump stops??

Old 03-17-2013, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bump stops??

So what's the deal with bump stops?

I hear of people putting on extended bump stops after installing lifts.

Can y'all give me the scoop on this?
Do I need to do these? If so, why?

Fyi: I've got a '12 JKUS with 2.5" coil spacers on 315/75r16s with 1.5" wheel spacers behind stock wheels. Installing a 1.25" body lift this next week sometime.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bump stops limit up travel on the axles to keep shocks from bottoming out, tires from contacting fenders and suspension components from contacting the frame.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was my understanding as well (as far as factory length bumpstops were concerned).

I guess i should clarify...

Extended bumpstops:
Do I need them? Or should I wait to see if I stop maxing out shocks/suspension? If so, what size/brand recommendations?
Old 03-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I posted is true for stock or longer bump stops. A quick easy method is to measure remaining shock piston and compare to the distance between the axle pad and upper bump stop. You can always find a dirt mound to flex it out and check. Don't wait to go wheeling to find out. If the shocks bottom on a hard hit the shock might blow out or shear the shock mounting hardware.

Quick Reply: Bump stops??