Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bump Stops

Old 02-23-2011, 07:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bump Stops

Quick question...

Im planning on a RC 2.5" lift with shocks and 35's. I already have bushwacker flat fenders which will be installed. Will I need bump stop extensions?? I have seen the terraflex bumpstops and their 2.5" lift comes with the top portion. The website says you need both the top and bottom for the front...what will I need for my set up?? Front? Rear? Top? Bottom???

Thanks!!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The general rule of thumb is: bumpstop height = lift height.
Take any tire height change in to account. With flats you can run less. If you disconnect, you may want more. Upper or lower is a preference, but I prefer lowers.

I started with a 3" lift and 32" actual height tires. Disconnected, I rubbed pretty bad. Added 3/4" spacers, still rubbed bad. Added 2" lower bumpstops, still had minor rubbing. Added 33.5" actual height tires and chopped the flares, and I have about an inch of clearance between the tires and flares.
So, do a little planning and add appropriate size bumpstops with the lift. It'll save you a lot of hassle.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Ya, I dont want to be pulling the coils after the lift install to add bump stops. So im doing a 2.5" lift with about 34" actual height tires and flat flares...What do you think I will need?? Do you happen to know the size of the stock bump stops?

If bump stops = lift height, what changes do I make for tire size??

Thanks
Old 02-24-2011, 06:07 AM
JK Junkie

With flatties and 34's you shouldn't need any more bump stop in the front. You might need an inch in the rear, but I doubt it, and they're easy to add later anyway.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Okay, cool...

I just didnt want to have to pull the springs again later, and I havent installed the flares yet to see how much clearance I will get...
Old 02-24-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by tslewisz
With flatties and 34's you shouldn't need any more bump stop in the front.
Assuming he does not disco...
Old 02-24-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Ok...so I should have them??

Who makes 2" bumpstops for the front?? I only see terraflex ones and they say I need the upper and lower...do I need both?? Im back to all my original questions
Old 02-24-2011, 06:24 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Isn't this stuff fun!!

So,
-extended bumpstop height = lift height. (This is assuming stock flares)
-if you increase tire height, you decrease the amount of space between the tires and the flares.
-ff you disconnect, the axle is free to move further up (and down). This decreases the amount of space between the tires and flares, but provides better offroad performance.
-if you add flats, you increase the amount of space between the tires and flares.

If you do not disconnect, you may not rub with the flats. If/when you add the disco's, you will rub without ext stops.

Lots of companies make them. I have 2" RE front lowers and 2.5" TF rear lowers, simply because those are what my little local shops had in stock when I finally figured out that I needed them.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U can use hockey pucks in the front and rear as extensions. And the fronts u can get between the coils if u flex it a Tad with a Jack. Use a quick dry 2 part epoxy to attach em. Loctite makes it. Hockey pucks are about an inch.
Shot of the rear

Old 02-25-2011, 04:48 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Crap, really? Any reading (probably planman posts) I've come across said that flatties and 35's should be fine w/out extending the front stops. I guess I need to do some disconnected testing before I do any wheeling.

Quick Reply: Bump Stops