Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bump Steer gone - what I did...

Old 11-20-2009, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bump Steer gone - what I did...

As many of you know I had a case of bump steer after installing a drag link flip kit. I know there are a few others out there that are having the same problem. I finally was able to purchase the bracket I wanted in order to get it corrected. But, I thought I would do some extra testing along the way to see what happened.

Pic of system installed causing bump steer on my Jeep. I know this kit seems to work with 6" kits, but not mine. Kit shows flipped drag ling, plus a lowered track bar on frame side. Also additional support brace going from frame rail to frame rail:

Test 1: Install JKS track bar bracket to raise axle side of track bar only.

Result: FAIL! Bump steer was even worse. Bouncing on the bumper along I could get 1/2 a turn out of the steering wheel.
Pic:

Test 2: Go back to the way Jeep designed the system. Put track bar back at same level as drag link on frame side. On Axel side JKS bracket already moved it up to same level as drag link.

Result: Bingo! All bump steer gone!
Pic:

Any track bar bracket will work. As long as you bolt the track bar back up to the factory location and raise the axel side about 3" +/-. I chose the JKS bracket because of it strength. I do run my rig hard on the trails.

I hope this is able to help someone, good luck to all...
Old 11-20-2009, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

Teraflex what do you have to say about this
Old 11-20-2009, 03:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

Did you use a drop pittman arm or keep the factory pittman?
Old 11-20-2009, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

This is exactly what I did as well. I had the teraflex kit too and moved the trackbar back up to the original frame location, installed the JKS bracket and bingo I was in business
Old 11-20-2009, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

told ya Zip. glad you got that sorted. now, if you would have gone with a drop pitman arm with the T/B drop bracket, i think that would have worked. but i like this solution better. i just wish i would have known then what i know now.....don't get me wrong, i love the TF lift but there high steer kit wasn't right for my setup.

**edit. i noticed you're not running the TF t/b anymore, Zip. is that the stocker you have now? i'm still trying to sort out my DW and i'm wondering if it's related to the TF t/b. it seems that the rubber bushings in them might be a bit soft, allowing a little play in the t/b movement resulting in the DW.

Last edited by Monty-; 11-20-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am using a stock pitman arm. To use a dropped pitman arm to bring the system into line also would have worked. However, under full flex the track bar on the frame side was hitting the diff cover and preventing the last couple inches of travel. Besides, I want stuff off the ground for more clearance.

On another note during testing I was able to measure my total travel front and rear, 17" front and 15" rear, from full droop to full compression. Not bad at all.

Yes, that is a stock track bar.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

PeeJ Zip how high is your lift? Also do you have any pictures of the set up with the jeep on the ground?
Thanks,
Old 11-21-2009, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PeeJ_Zip
I am using a stock pitman arm. To use a dropped pitman arm to bring the system into line also would have worked. However, under full flex the track bar on the frame side was hitting the diff cover and preventing the last couple inches of travel. Besides, I want stuff off the ground for more clearance.

On another note during testing I was able to measure my total travel front and rear, 17" front and 15" rear, from full droop to full compression. Not bad at all.

Yes, that is a stock track bar.
did you think the TF tracbar had anything to do with the DW?
Old 11-21-2009, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Monty-
**edit. i noticed you're not running the TF t/b anymore, Zip. is that the stocker you have now? i'm still trying to sort out my DW and i'm wondering if it's related to the TF t/b. it seems that the rubber bushings in them might be a bit soft, allowing a little play in the t/b movement resulting in the DW.
I am curious about this myself. I have purchased the JKS trackbar bracket mount myself and will likely do the same as you PeeJ-Zip did, but wondering if I should get an OEM trackbar, to help alleviate the DW issue?
Old 11-21-2009, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

i've been following your threads jeepy. have you noticed the TF tracbar bushings to be too soft for you as well?

Quick Reply: Bump Steer gone - what I did...