Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

bump steer or Death wobble help!

Old 07-06-2009, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bump steer or Death wobble help!

so i just read a bunch of posts and can't really figure out what problem I'm having...

i have a 2" OME lift kit (just shocks and coils). the problems all started right after this was installed. The jeep basically drives like the sway bars are disconnected all the time (they are not, i have checked). It's floaty, and lumbering around turns and is very hard to keep on the road without constant steering wheel adjustment.

also, when i hit a bump at highway speeds, the steering wheel shakes pretty good and if I'm turning a little bit when i hit the bump, it will throw the jeep in one direction or the other.

finally, when driving on on or off ramps to the highway, sometimes the esp will come on and cut all power to the wheels.

I took it to the dealership and they replaced the steering stabilizer under warranty and recommended an alignment. i will be doing the alignment, but i'm waiting till i get new wheels and tires soon and do it all at once.

so my questions are: is the floaty, lumbering feeling normal after a 2" lift? others have said "thta's just a lifted jeep" but that just doesn't sound right to me. also, what's with the violent shaking steering wheel and loss of traction issues? track bar? something else? please help. i want my jeep to be safe and fun again!
Old 07-06-2009, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

nice! thanks man. i fully intend on getting an alignment. as for re-tourquing all suspension components, do you have any suggestions on which components? track bar, control arms, anything else and to what specs? i have never tightened the bolts anywhere. (and i did do the HD springs all around and it ended up being more like 3-3.5 inches as you suggest...)
Old 07-06-2009, 12:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Check your caster. Your caster is probably too low and you may need lower control arms to adjust the caster and stop the flighty feeling steering.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same lift and problems after lift. Adust toe so it is 1/8'' or less in. Get new sway bar end links and adjustible lower contral arms . And recenter your steering wheel to stop esp from firing. Seach old post there are a lot on these problems and how to fix.

Quick Reply: bump steer or Death wobble help!