Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bump steer cures... Ready, Set, Go!

Old 11-25-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bump steer cures... Ready, Set, Go!

Searches have produced very little results and well I'm too lazy to continue searching...

I'm looking for a cure to my bump steer. It happens usually when braking on a bumpy road or a road that has groves in it. I have a 3" BDS lift with 35x12.5" tires.

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2011, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Man it can be soooo many things. 9 out of 10 times it's ball joints with play in them. Also get a pry bar and check your front control arm bushings. Most likely out of alignment too. Do a simple tape measure test. Should have an 1/8 to 3/16 toe-in. Steering stabilizer only masks the true problem, a heavy duity SS won't make your problem go away. I can't read your profile to see what size lift your jeep has, but if your draglink and trackbar are not parallel, that could cause bumpsteer too. Check all of those and reply back. If all checks good you may have a bad steering gearbox.

-trust me, cause I'm $2000 in the hole repairing my jeep from a deathwobble like bumpsteer. In one week, I got a sleeve and gusset kit installed, Evo draglink flip kit, all 4 new ball joints, D30 ARB diff cover, new battery, and tape measure alignment and STILL HAD A DEATHWOBBLE like bumpsteer. Found my TF urethane bushing had play so ordering those too. I never expected to pay this much but here I am....
Old 11-25-2011, 11:32 PM
JK Newbie

Not sure how long it will last but I just put new tires on and all of my bump steer is gone....
Old 11-27-2011, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I crawled under her today and nothing appears to be loose.

The lift gave me a hair over 3 inches but didn't have LCAs. Instead it had a cam bolt to make the adjustments!?!

I'm going to check out some prices on adjustable LCA in the next couple of days and get back to you.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 11-27-2011, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Check the cam bolts to make sure they didn't turn. If you go the adjustable control arm route you will need to weld on new mounts or weld some heavy duty washer on the factory ones so you have a round hold again.
Umm how would I know if the bolts turned? Square hole rounded out?
Old 11-27-2011, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

I battlied this myself for 6 months after putting a 2.5"coil lift on with 33's and think the lower adjustable controls arms made the biggest difference at least for me. I was at about 1-2 degrees of caster with the stock front lowers. 5 degrees after. I also put put on adj trackbars front and rear and it didn't do much. I also replaced my front tie rod with an aftermarket one after one side started going bad- this did help a little for me. Good luck!
Old 11-27-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by laxnjay
Searches have produced very little results and well I'm too lazy to continue searching...

I'm looking for a cure to my bump steer. It happens usually when braking on a bumpy road or a road that has groves in it. I have a 3" BDS lift with 35x12.5" tires.

Thanks!
I have the same lift with 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers. I ran into a guy with a 4" RC lift the other day who had large tires and was also talking about bad bump steer. Mine isn't that bad but I think larger tires with the factory steering stabalizer may be part of it. I'm gonna try the BDS dual steering stabalizer with the 9500 series shocks and see if it makes any difference. My theory is that wider and larger tires along with a lift put more push and pull on the steering components from the road conditions and the steering stabalizer shock is a little weak for the larger tires. It may be the beggining of next year before I can install it but I'll revisit this thread and let everybody know if it makes any difference.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by laxnjay

Thanks!

I know exactly what you mean. Off Road Evolution recently developed an EVO JK DRAGLINK FLIP KIT which GREATLY improved my bump steer I experienced. I installed the EVO drag link flip kit and pitman arm and did a needed tire balance, rotation and alignment. My JK has never driven better! The drag link flip which raised my trackbar mounting 3" and restored my steering geometry close to factory design. You may be interested in checking this kit out. I really think this kit will fix your bump steer. Good luck and happy holidays!!!

http://evomfg.com/store/proddetail.p...O-DRAGLINKFLIP

Last edited by bananas; 11-28-2011 at 06:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Bump steer cures... Ready, Set, Go!