Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bump Steer After New 33's and Alignment

Old 11-17-2011, 09:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bump Steer After New 33's and Alignment

Just had a set of 275/70/18 Wrangler Dura Tracs put on my stock Sahara wheels and had the toe aligned at the same time. The toe was set to a total of 0.1" and the factory stated range was -0.1" to 0.4". My Jeep has a TeraFlex Leveling Kit (spacers) and factory everything else.

Before the new tires and alignment I had stock Bridgestone Duelers and I had set the alignment to roughly -1/16" total toe-in with a tape measure and did not experience any bump steering. Now when I hit a bump, I can see/feel the steering wheel shake back and forth, but no vibration/movement on smooth surface during normal driving.

Is this a toe issue, or a are the new tires simply too big/heavy for my stock steering stabilizer?

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:45 AM
JK Freak

That sounds like a lose/worn component not bump steer,bump steer wants to pull to one side when you go over a bump or dip. Have checked your ball joints?

Last edited by Rhino64; 11-17-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem, when I installed my 285/70/17 on stock rims. I even get it on roads after I hit 40 +mph, but also get it when I hit bumps.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:20 PM
JK Newbie

I don't suspect ball joints since it was fine before the tires and alignment. I do not have any vibration at speed, just bumps, so I do not suspect tires being out of balance.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:10 PM
JK Freak

Have you checked your tire pressure
Since you just got new tires mounted, maybe they overinflated them.

Last edited by Zombie Hunter; 11-17-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

You're not alone. Sounds like it's the beginnings of Death Wobble, not bump steer. I have the same problem. You can do a lot of research on this site about Death Wobble and the causes/cures, but they may not lead you to the source of the problem.

I have this issue right now myself. I actually didn't change anything on my jeep and started getting steering wobble on bumps and grooved pavement. I've spent hours trying to figure it out in my garage, and have taken it to two shops. Both shops couldn't find anything wrong. It's not tire related. I think there is something at play here with our JK's that hasn't been pinpointed or discovered yet. I'm now at the point where I'm replacing components. Next up is a new tie rod. Hoping that fixes it.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ludski
no its not death wobble. death wobble would happen constantly.

this is just a moving back and forth of the wheel. not a wobble vibration.
Yes this. Took the toe in a little off for a test drive.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ludski
did it fix it?
Looks like it. Feels like normal on all the bumps i hit. I will know for sure when i drive to work and hit my familiar bumps!
Old 11-17-2011, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

Default Mine is just the opposite.

My old worn out stock tires would wobble a bit when hitting bumps. Put on the new tires and no more wobble. Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/70/17. Tire wear was even so no alignment.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At 0.1 your prolly close to 1/8in toe in. If I were you I'd try to toe it out till the wobble ceases.

Quick Reply: Bump Steer After New 33's and Alignment