Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bump steer after 4.5" Rubicon Express SuperFlex

Old 08-26-2014, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bump steer after 4.5" Rubicon Express SuperFlex

Had the 4" rancho with jks track bar and factory drag link. Now that I have all rubicon express it's got way more response through the steering and every little bump or dip the wheel turns. Not what I was expecting from this lift. My track bar drag link angles look pretty close to perfect as they can get.. What gives? Everything's torqued and tightened down, wheels straight. What am I missing? It's got the rubicon express track bar drop, and the chromoly drag link and adjustable track bar from RE.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The links are parallel but on different planes. Get an axle side raised trackbar bracket and ditch the frame side.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D_engel
The links are parallel but on different planes. Get an axle side raised trackbar bracket and ditch the frame side.

What he said. Get a synergy or similar axle side trac bar mount. I have seen the frame side brackets brake very easily.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:37 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The drag link is flipped, correct? And do you have the alignment specs handy?
Old 08-27-2014, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone have a source for a axle side? Synergy? Who would y'all go with?
Old 08-27-2014, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm about to get the Synergy high steer kit.

Having the same issues you are

-G
Old 08-27-2014, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

What lift are you running?
Old 08-27-2014, 05:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 08GumbyJKU
Anyone have a source for a axle side? Synergy? Who would y'all go with?
You didn't answer about the flip and alignment. Do you have the alignment specs? Is your drag link up on top of the knuckle now? Generally, when you reposition the trackbar, you also reposition the drag link at the same time. It sounds like you dropped the trackbar, but you did not move the drag link. is this correct?

Before pulling out the credit card and throwing parts at it, you might try to figure out the problem first. Maybe spend a little time going through Planmans big deathwobble writeup? (stuck right to the top of the Write-Ups area). And then you might research the axle side brackets a bit more. Synergy redesigned their trackbar specifically so that it would work with their flip, and there are clearance issues with some other mfg's trackbars. Is yours one of them?
Old 08-27-2014, 05:53 PM
JK Newbie

I have the same lift, and yes the drag link should be flipped, my steering wheel was sensitive to the road as well, UNTIL my fix ATS steering stabilizer came in, now it's perfect. I also added 1" coil spacers for total 5.5" of lift, this lift handles my heavy jeep on 40's like a dream. Only thing I dislike is the creaking noises from the frame mounted drop bracket for the track bar. It'll be gone after I install my Artec armor kit which has a raised track bar mount for the axle side.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1898617303.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	573304   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2866188437.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	573305  
Old 08-27-2014, 08:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
You didn't answer about the flip and alignment. Do you have the alignment specs? Is your drag link up on top of the knuckle now? Generally, when you reposition the trackbar, you also reposition the drag link at the same time. It sounds like you dropped the trackbar, but you did not move the drag link. is this correct?

Before pulling out the credit card and throwing parts at it, you might try to figure out the problem first. Maybe spend a little time going through Planmans big deathwobble writeup? (stuck right to the top of the Write-Ups area). And then you might research the axle side brackets a bit more. Synergy redesigned their trackbar specifically so that it would work with their flip, and there are clearance issues with some other mfg's trackbars. Is yours one of them?
The DL is flipped, hence why he has a dropped TB bracket. While some people think flipped link and drop bracket drives well, it is far less than ideal. As I've stated earlier, they are parallel, but on very different planes.

OP, I dont like the concept of a bolt on bracket personally, so I'd recommend the Artec raised bracket. 1/4" plate that will work with any trackbar.

Quick Reply: Bump steer after 4.5" Rubicon Express SuperFlex