Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

bump steer

Old 03-08-2014, 11:11 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hollywd32
Ok a quick question- could the front lower arms be shortened a 1/2" and if so- do the upper arms have to be adjustwd accordingly also? Thanks
You would need to adjust the upper and lower arms, and then you'd need to redo the alignment caster specs.

Much easier to take a flap wheel to the edge of the bumper where there is a clearance problem and then paint over the bare metal.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by planman
You would need to adjust the upper and lower arms, and then you'd need to redo the alignment caster specs. Much easier to take a flap wheel to the edge of the bumper where there is a clearance problem and then paint over the bare metal.
Actually, fix that, but more importantly, reduce your drag link angle. That is the biggest culprit.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
Actually, fix that, but more importantly, reduce your drag link angle. That is the biggest culprit.

what??????
Old 03-08-2014, 12:33 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

His problem isn't bumpsteer. His front tires rub his front bumper on a full lock turn.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:05 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz
what??????
simple geometry. I should have clarified my first statement. Even with everything corrected on the geometry, drag link aside, it will still have bump steer with more of an angle on the drag link vs. reducing the angle as compared to the direction of travel. Sorry for the hurt.

Last edited by Jeepstin12; 03-08-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

simple geometry. I should have clarified my first statement. Even with everything corrected on the geometry, drag link aside, it will still have bump steer with more of an angle on the drag link vs. reducing the angle as compared to the direction of travel. Sorry for the hurt.
He doesn't have bumpsteer. His tire tread was catching on his bumper on a full lock turn and he called it bumpsteer.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:45 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what this guy ^^ said. I understand the geometry, was just confused why you tried confusing the op, or failed to fully read the thread.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:00 PM
JK Junkie

I don't typically go back to the op. I saw the most recent. No intention of confusing anybody.

Quick Reply: bump steer