Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

bump steer

Old 02-18-2014, 11:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Do you typically use your computer while laying on your left side? LOL!
Your steering looks pretty decent from that shot.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:30 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hollywd32
Hi thanks. By bump steer- im refering to when i turn a corner ( somewhat tight corner) like parking and the steering wheel jerks if the corner is too tight compared to before the control arms were replaced and the fox shocks where put on. The shop said caster and pinion where dead on . Specs provided by teraflex that came with control arm kit. Drives great xcept the " bump steer" i apologize if that is not the correct term .
Not the correct term, but that doesn't matter.

You need to put the jeep on flat ground and have someone sit on your jeep with the engine running and the steering at a full lock turn while you slowly roll the vehicle forward and back to see and feel where the binding is occurring.

What you are describing sounds similar to what happens when people use 4wd on dry ground or if there is a loose/worn drag link or tie rod end that is binding.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes! Exactly ( using 4 wheel on dry ground) will give that a shot. Thanks
Old 02-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Yes! Exactly ( using 4 wheel on dry ground) will give that a shot. Thanks
Never use 4wd on dry ground. You can damage components if you do anything other than drive straight.

Only all wheel drive can be used on dry ground--ie, Subaru.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow- figured it out! The damn front tires now will rub the front bumper on a tight turn! Wth? All control arms were measured exactly from teraflexs instructions. So i am assuming i will have to redjust to smaller ?
Old 02-18-2014, 01:18 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Makes sense. That would be because the teraflex arms are putting the front axle back in the center of the wheel well. You can shorten the arms, run smaller tires, put on a stubby bumper, or just live with it.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:26 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Since your alignment is all dialed in. Another option is to take a grinder or sawsall, or both to the inside of your front bumper where there is a clearance problem. If you still have the modular bumper, you could just remove the ends.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

The bumper i have is the ace pro full width bumper. Kinda screwed there as its 1/4 steel. So.. time to sell that bumper and get a stubby . Wow. Pita. But i guess half the fun. Thanks everyone for all.your help. Its is much appreciated.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:24 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

The bumper i have is the ace pro full width bumper. Kinda screwed there as its 1/4 steel. So.. time to sell that bumper and get a stubby . Wow. Pita. But i guess half the fun. Thanks everyone for all.your help. Its is much appreciated.
Depending on how much material you'd need to remove and how much you like the bumper, you could still remove material with a flap wheel on a grinder, or you could use a plasma cutter.

If you don't have those tools, your local exhaust shop does.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok a quick question- could the front lower arms be shortened a 1/2" and if so- do the upper arms have to be adjustwd accordingly also? Thanks

Quick Reply: bump steer