Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

bump steer

Old 02-18-2014, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bump steer

Ok. Need some some assistance from the mechanically inclined! Have a 2011 jku with a teraflex 3" lift. Bilstein shocks. Just changed out the shocks for fox teraflex tuned set and upgraded the complete control arms from teraflex. Rides great etc but now i have bump steer! What gives? Did i blindly overlook something? Do i need a steering upgrade? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 02-18-2014, 09:02 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Your new shocks may have a higher pressure then the 5100's that may have raised your ride height enough for you to notice bump steer.
Bump steer is generally an indication that a steering upgrade may be needed.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Your new shocks may have a higher pressure then the 5100's that may have raised your ride height enough for you to notice bump steer.
Bump steer is generally an indication that a steering upgrade may be needed.
Thanks! I suspected this but wanted someone elses opinion that knew more than me ( very little here!) Thanks again.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

Caster could be needing adjusting. Don't go replacing steering components until you figure out where you are with that.

If the shocks gave you are rise then the caster angle changed.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:34 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hollywd32
Ok. Need some some assistance from the mechanically inclined! Have a 2011 jku with a teraflex 3" lift. Bilstein shocks. Just changed out the shocks for fox teraflex tuned set and upgraded the complete control arms from teraflex. Rides great etc but now i have bump steer! What gives? Did i blindly overlook something? Do i need a steering upgrade? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Please describe what you mean by bumpsteer.

Bumpsteer is what happens when the drag ling and trackbar travel in different arcs because the mounting points don't run parallel.

Here is an sample diagram (not of a JK):

Old 02-18-2014, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman

Please describe what you mean by bumpsteer.

Bumpsteer is what happens when the drag ling and trackbar travel in different arcs because the mounting points don't run parallel.

Here is an sample diagram (not of a JK):
Hi thanks.
By bump steer- im refering to when i turn a corner ( somewhat tight corner) like parking and the steering wheel jerks if the corner is too tight compared to before the control arms were replaced and the fox shocks where put on. The shop said caster and pinion where dead on . Specs provided by teraflex that came with control arm kit. Drives great xcept the " bump steer" i apologize if that is not the correct term .
Old 02-18-2014, 10:47 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

That would not be bump steer. Are your tires hitting the new control arms at full turn?
Old 02-18-2014, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dirtman
Ran out and checked. Negative. Control arms are bent in towards driveshaft as per instructions. Tires would hit frame before the control arms. But was a good call enough to make me run out and check. Lol.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:57 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I would add to planmans diagram by stateing that your drag link and track bar should not only be parallel to each other but as parallel to the ground as possible to minimize bump steer caused by axle shift.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure if you can see by pic but looks "normal"

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140218_140259.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	531922

Quick Reply: bump steer