Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Building up my jk. Was looking for feed back and ideas.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building up my jk. Was looking for feed back and ideas.

Hello all. I'm looking for feed back from anyone out there on some parts I am wavering on. Starters, 5.13 gears. Anyone running these in there jk? What do you have? What do you like? I'm fond of g2. Maybe something better out there? Next cv shafts... I'm split between j.e. reel and Tom woods shafts. Going with the rough country 6inch kit. I was thinking j.e. but I've heard a lot about the warranty with Tom woods. Last but certainly not least, tires. I'm on the east coast, winters are hit or miss, meaning some storms dump 2 ft of snow and some dump less. Need a dependable tire in the 35 inch size, and I don't feel like paying for a name over quality and life. Not to mention I work for a railroad and find myself off road a lot. And of course trailing and mudding.
Like I said I have my ideas and know what direction I want to go but would love input and another perspective. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

First off...6" of lift is way too much for 35's. Someone else already posted this same setup. If you are dead set on rough country I would probably do their 3.5" kit. Use the search function on this forum to help answer all your questions. Best advice I can give is RESEARCH before you buy. There is a ton of knowledge on this forum at your disposal. And as for tires I personally am a fan of Toyo and Nitto. You will get many opinions as to which is best but there are many good choices...
Old 10-27-2011, 06:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 on the six inch lift!!! Way too much for 35's! The JK is already taller than the TJ even stock, what used to be necessary to put 35's under a TJ, is no longer needed for the JK.
For 35's to be used you really only need a B.B. lift, but if you are looking for a full blown lift stay in the 3 to 4 inch range, you will be much happier with the look running 35's and the expense wont be quite as much. my motto is... keep the c/g as low as possible to keep the roll rate down and keep it safer.
Personally, I would look into a different lift brand, there are tons out there, some better than others, do you're research, and just know that you get what you pay for!!!!
As far as gears, 5:13's are a great choice, they can be used in both 2 door and 4 door. I have them in my 2 dr. and really like them.
Tom Woods and J.E. Reel are both real good choices, as far as I am concerned, you can't go wrong with either.

before you start spending $$$$, cruise all the forum and learn from those who are on here! we have all been there! There is no 1 perfect set up. everybody has their opinion, build it the way you want it, just keep it safe.....
Old 10-27-2011, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Agree on the lift. JKs have big wheel wells and don't need a huge lift for big tires. I have 35s and just have a 2.5" TF lift. Works fine.

Also bear in mind what works well in one part of the country may not work so well where you live and for your local conditions.

Case in point with me. When I bought my rig my plan was to get wheels a good set of AT tires. Well, went wheeling a few times with clubs, and come to find out here in the Ozarks we have a lot of smooth faced rock and shale like conditions, and pretty much across the board all terrains do not provide enough grip. You can tell the rigs that have ATs from MTs simply by how much they spin the tires and struggle. So I changed my plan and went with MTs. There are climbs that my rig with open diffs and MTs does easier than Rubis which are locked with ATs.

Not putting down ATs at all, just sayin that what works best here in the Ozarks may differ from what works best in Moab and from what works best in New England. Research, research, research
Old 10-27-2011, 07:04 AM
JK Super Freak

^^^ what they said, for sure. 2.5 to 3.5 on the lift. Anything more and you'll look like a mini monster truck with minimal lift you can even go 37" combined with flat fenders. Spend the money on armor, axle reinforcement, and quality recovery gear. Good luck, do research, and post pics!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:39 AM
JK Super Freak

There have also been reports as to the joints on Tom Woods shafts having issues, so I'd say you're better off going with a JE Reel or Tatton shaft.

However, if you're only shooting for a 35" tire, then you don't need more than a 2.5" lift kit (or less if you're getting flat fenders) so new driveshafts aren't really even needed.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:57 AM
JK Super Freak

35" Dunlop mud rovers, or Yokohama geolanders are nice and fairly in expensive, also a khumo road venture m/t My suggestion is if you are going to do 6" kit, gears and DS I'd throw some 37's under there. Or even 40's if you have aD44 up front.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can run a TeraFlex 2.5" or 3" kit with 35's. TeraFlex has 6 different 2.5" kits that would work for your JK. Welcome to the forum also.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:41 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the input and ideas. Been doing the research, been looking at what other guys got. Still trying to figure out where to go with everything. I love the feed back so keep it coming. I really appreciate it.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is a pic of my "Great Pumpkin". AEV 3.5 SC lift with Falken Wildpeaks in 315.
Attachment 229311
I have been very impressed with the on road handling of the AEV kit and falkens. The tires are currently overinflated IMHO (37 lbs) and I will be chalk testing them this weekend to get a final good pressure. There is no noticeable body roll in hard turns.

On a side note, the spell checker wants to change "falken" into "Falklands".

Quick Reply: Building up my jk. Was looking for feed back and ideas.