Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Building a ultra reliable JK on 37's

Old 07-02-2016, 08:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by purerage1975
Ok guys and gals, here's my delimma. I have a one month old JKU. I have since bought a 2.5" teraflex budget boost lift. I need ( want ) 37" aggressive all terrains for trail riding, overland camping, and looks. My Jeep will be a daily driver as well, but will only see MAYBE 300-400 miles a month as I hate wearing it out traveling the same boring road. I want to have stock Jeep reliability/durability. Do any of you have any real on road/off road mileage on this type of set-up? And if so, what do I need for many worry free miles?

I think if reliability is what you are going for I wouldnt go past 35s. Everyone i know that put 37s on had issues from wear and tear within the 1st year they put them on.

Anyways Just make sure your d44 front is gusseted and trussed. I use synergy balljoints and they are great used them for 35k miles so far on my 34s duratracs. I would also beef up the draglink and trackbar and tierod as well. You might also want some hydro assist and control arms to dial in the tire wear and steering. While your at it, get better brakes since all that driving on 37s might change your braking distance.

So basicaly from understanding, 37s is the last mod you should do on the list after getting everything ready to handle it and not vice versa.

Goodluck
Old 07-03-2016, 07:50 AM
JK Junkie

It's not for everyone, but I went with the Dynatrac pro rock complete axle swap, housings and all!

D44 and D60

RCV axles up front, Dynatrac axels in back

Custom driveshafts built by a local fab shop, 4130 chromoly

5.13 gearing and ARB lockers

Goodyear MTR K's 37x12.5x17

Synergy ball joints which lasted about 12k-15k miles

Replaced them with the Dynatrac rebuildable ones

I've got over 20k+ miles on the whole setup, it's my semi daily driver, I'm semi retire and don't drive every day, but I've driven a lot of highly and road trip miles

I wheel it pretty hard and have never had any problems

It drives pretty well on the road/highway, a bit noisy and bumpy compared to stock

My wife would probably be happier if I got a big pickup and a trailer...

Matthew
Old 07-03-2016, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
It's not for everyone, but I went with the Dynatrac pro rock complete axle swap, housings and all! D44 and D60 RCV axles up front, Dynatrac axels in back Custom driveshafts built by a local fab shop, 4130 chromoly 5.13 gearing and ARB lockers Goodyear MTR K's 37x12.5x17 Synergy ball joints which lasted about 12k-15k miles Replaced them with the Dynatrac rebuildable ones I've got over 20k+ miles on the whole setup, it's my semi daily driver, I'm semi retire and don't drive every day, but I've driven a lot of highly and road trip miles I wheel it pretty hard and have never had any problems It drives pretty well on the road/highway, a bit noisy and bumpy compared to stock My wife would probably be happier if I got a big pickup and a trailer... Matthew
This is the way to go for reliability on 37's if you plan on wheeling. Mine is similarly built but because of the wife and kids we trailer for long weekend wheeling trips.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by shin0bi1

I think if reliability is what you are going for I wouldnt go past 35s. Everyone i know that put 37s on had issues from wear and tear within the 1st year they put them on.

Anyways Just make sure your d44 front is gusseted and trussed. I use synergy balljoints and they are great used them for 35k miles so far on my 34s duratracs. I would also beef up the draglink and trackbar and tierod as well. You might also want some hydro assist and control arms to dial in the tire wear and steering. While your at it, get better brakes since all that driving on 37s might change your braking distance.

So basicaly from understanding, 37s is the last mod you should do on the list after getting everything ready to handle it and not vice versa.

Goodluck
Thanks for the advice. Umm about the D44, I have a Sport and am running the D30 front. The more I look into it, the more Im leaning towards a more aggressive all terrain 35". I don't want to do anything to tear my jeep up. Hell I wanted a 4 door since 07, and plan on babying it as much as possible. Not that I won't use it for its intended purpose, I just don't want to abuse it. So I need an aggressive 35" all terrain. I'm leaning towards the Cooper ST MAX, possibly Goodyear Duratracs. Any thoughts guys??
Old 07-03-2016, 09:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
It's not for everyone, but I went with the Dynatrac pro rock complete axle swap, housings and all!

D44 and D60

RCV axles up front, Dynatrac axels in back

Custom driveshafts built by a local fab shop, 4130 chromoly

5.13 gearing and ARB lockers

Goodyear MTR K's 37x12.5x17

Synergy ball joints which lasted about 12k-15k miles

Replaced them with the Dynatrac rebuildable ones

I've got over 20k+ miles on the whole setup, it's my semi daily driver, I'm semi retire and don't drive every day, but I've driven a lot of highly and road trip miles

I wheel it pretty hard and have never had any problems

It drives pretty well on the road/highway, a bit noisy and bumpy compared to stock

My wife would probably be happier if I got a big pickup and a trailer...

Matthew
I've been looking at the Dynatrac route, but realistically its way out of my price range. One day they will be mine... One day. Thanks buddy!
Old 07-04-2016, 11:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice. Umm about the D44, I have a Sport and am running the D30 front. The more I look into it, the more Im leaning towards a more aggressive all terrain 35". I don't want to do anything to tear my jeep up. Hell I wanted a 4 door since 07, and plan on babying it as much as possible. Not that I won't use it for its intended purpose, I just don't want to abuse it. So I need an aggressive 35" all terrain. I'm leaning towards the Cooper ST MAX, possibly Goodyear Duratracs. Any thoughts guys??
It's intended purpose is to be driven. So as long as your doing that then your good to go lol. Due attacks are not a bad tire for everyday driving and pretty good offroad. I know a few people that have ran them and they are a decent all around tire. In actually thinking about the cooper sst for my next set of tires for my truck if I don't go with toyo open country m/t. Wouldn't suggest the toyo though for the jeep.

Another one to look at is nitto trail grapplers. I currently have them on my truck and love them. I know a lot of people that have them in their jeeps and like them also. They ride pretty damn good on the road and not too noisy for a M/T and do good offroad also.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny

It's intended purpose is to be driven. So as long as your doing that then your good to go lol. Due attacks are not a bad tire for everyday driving and pretty good offroad. I know a few people that have ran them and they are a decent all around tire. In actually thinking about the cooper sst for my next set of tires for my truck if I don't go with toyo open country m/t. Wouldn't suggest the toyo though for the jeep.

Another one to look at is nitto trail grapplers. I currently have them on my truck and love them. I know a lot of people that have them in their jeeps and like them also. They ride pretty damn good on the road and not too noisy for a M/T and do good offroad also.
Thanks again! Yeah I've always liked the looks of Nitto tires, and hear they perform pretty well to boot. I had a set of Duratracs on my last truck and thought they rode very good on the road. I didn't have the opportunity to try them on the trail though, it was a 2wd long bed.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
I bought my Synergy joints when they first came out. I give them maybe 5-10k more. My left lower is already sloppy, right getting there.
Maybe 10k with little hard use .. Only greased using Synergy's brand every 3K

Im going Rare Parts next time around.
What are the rare parts ball joints cost?
Old 07-05-2016, 12:54 AM
JK Newbie

That's good to hear. Thanks for responding! That's exactly what I'll be doing with mine. How many miles have you put on your Jeep since the 37's were put on? And I hate to ask, but what is a BB? Geez, I feel like such a virgin..
I have had 37s on about 3 years. Maybe put 30K miles on the Jeep since then. Its my daily driver. I take it mudding and Trail riding about every second weekend. I have stock 4.10 gears and stock axles and drive shafts. I haven't had any problems. My stock ball joints are fine so far as well. I added a 1.25" body lift, trimmed fenders, and rear pinch seams. I added 1.5" wheel spacers to stop the rubbing at full turn. Stock steering pump. I have the Bully Dog GT tuner on premium setting and it drives about like stock.

I definitely do plan on upgrading components but as of yet, haven't had to. I have a psc steering pump upgrade kit but haven't installed yet. I did get a beefier steering stabilizer but yeah, upgrading gradually, not problems to report.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by poduck
What are the rare parts ball joints cost?
Don't worry about ball joints until you wear your out.

Quick Reply: Building a ultra reliable JK on 37's