Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Building Storage Box, what would you want yours to have? Give Input.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NE Wrangling
Sorry about that, I meant I'd like to fold them down and then be able to stuff something from back to front. I often carry stuff from Home depot in the back of the JK and fold the seats down to augment the needed space.
Uh huhhh, Now I know just what you mean. As much as I love that JK, some days when I'm hauling lumber or pipes, top down, raining, what ever it is stretched from the back of the Jeep tied to the top of the windshield... I'm about this close to pulling the trigger on that 1990 Toyota PU my neighbor's selling. (Problem is it's a 4x4. What if I start modding it too?)
Old 07-25-2008, 06:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

What if there were an open, (or openable) panel on the bottom that replaced the well's cover, so that you could use the cargo hold's well space as part of the box?

One person has already made a mod to replace the well itself with a deeper hold, and, this box could perhaps also as an option, simply lower a section through that same opening, etc.

Some hooks or other means of hanging recovery straps, air-lines, extension cords, etc....for quick access might be cool....(A hose reel type set-up would be sweet).
Old 07-25-2008, 06:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TEEJ
What if there were an open, (or openable) panel on the bottom that replaced the well's cover, so that you could use the cargo hold's well space as part of the box?

One person has already made a mod to replace the well itself with a deeper hold, and, this box could perhaps also as an option, simply lower a section through that same opening, etc.

Some hooks or other means of hanging recovery straps, air-lines, extension cords, etc....for quick access might be cool....(A hose reel type set-up would be sweet).
My stays wet most of the time and I live in a dry climate. I don't even bother using it any more.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robin
fight ,fight,fight.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:31 AM
JK Freak

Nice build in a toyota.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...r-storage.html
Old 07-26-2008, 04:38 AM
JK Freak

or a setup using some plastic:

http://img92.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rearopenhb7.jpg
Old 07-26-2008, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi! I elected to install a WeatherGard "Pak-Rat" drawer type storage unit. It is actually designed to sit in the back of a pick-up truck and is raintite. It has the optional dividers but I took them out as the items I carry fit better without them. No problems with it but it is un-Godly heavy and I need to ask for help loading and unloading it. The dimensions are= Width 39 1/2", Depth = 24 1/2", height = 12". It fits low enough to allow me to slide the draw open without unzipping and rolling up the rear window panel, and I located it as far forward as possible so I can open it during inclement weather without the tools getting soaked or snowed on. Take care... Mike
Old 07-28-2008, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big D2
This is very close to what I'm thinking of doing. The only problem is, it blocks access to the in-floor storage that already exists in the jeep =(

One option would be to have a single drawer, with rails the allow the drawer to slide out 1-2ft further than the end of the box itself... Thus you could reach behind the drawer and access the floor-storage box.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MaloCS
With that much storage space you shouldn't need to use the factory cubby hole.
True, but I'll still know it's there and unused! It would bug me

I think I might replicate the above 2-drawer design, but add a hinged lift-top. That way, you could pull both drawers out all the way, lift the top (when there's nothing on top) and access the cubby. It'd be like all secret and stuff.

EDIT: OR, you could use the cubby for a compressor/tank, etc. I just thought of this idea... I think it might work amazingly well! Not like you'd need to access the cubby that often, and you could cut a hole in the bottom for the hose attachment.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

I've been trying to wrap my head around this same project for months...I know exactly what you mean about the cubby. It's there, it...must....be...........used. ahhh.

Quick Reply: Building Storage Box, what would you want yours to have? Give Input.