Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Building Storage Box, what would you want yours to have? Give Input.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I really like the ides of lighting and power back there. I too have the Tuffy drawer with the divider kit. The drawer is 13" tall and I've picked up a bunch old ammo boxes. I mounted it high enough to store my strap and jumper cables for easy access. I then took a Bestop Modular Rack that I bought when I was young and foolish (although it's now $35 more) and bolted it to the top of the drawer. I didn't bother with that underneath storage as no matter what I do it's always wet in there anyways. I'd recommend putting a drawer instead of a lift top as well. My buddy built his own with a lift top and is always complaining about it. You should see him when he looks at mine.
P.S. Lining the bottom with foam rubber sure keeps the noise down.

Please forgive the blurry pict. I think it's clear enough to give you the idea. (I also didn't feel like putting the top up.)
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-23-2008, 01:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=tuffy2;608442]
Originally Posted by mmcan

Just in case you hadn't seen the accessories available for your Tuffy drawer. There are 2 types of tie down rails, rubber/diamond plate matting, carpet kits, and 2 types of interior lights.

Here is a link to some of the accessories:

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-214-1...own-rails.aspx

To keep on topic for the original poster: you may be interested in some of these accessories as well, even if you decide to build your own box
I really like the Tuffy Products, can't afford them now! I'll check out the accessories and see whay you have to offer. Thanks!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

a suitcase full of crisp $100 bills would be quite nice. sorry. power and lighting is a great idea.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:20 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm really digging the electrical hook up and light will go in. I'll post pictures on Sunday on what I have completed. Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08{GA}RUBICON
Hey guy, read before you post. I'm building it this weekend!
Don't get your panties in a bunch. I was just asking for pics WHEN you're done. Chill out.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:23 PM
JK Super Freak

[QUOTE=tuffy2;608442]
Originally Posted by mmcan

Just in case you hadn't seen the accessories available for your Tuffy drawer. There are 2 types of tie down rails, rubber/diamond plate matting, carpet kits, and 2 types of interior lights.

Here is a link to some of the accessories:

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-214-1...own-rails.aspx

To keep on topic for the original poster: you may be interested in some of these accessories as well, even if you decide to build your own box
I have the Tuffy Security Drawer in my JK and, quite frankly, I have some problems with it. The primary one is that it is NOISY; even when loaded with a lot of gear (200#?). It needs to close against something at the back and either side to keep the drawer from moving around and banging. That and then some adjustment to the latching mechanism so that it latches snuggly. Maybe a "V" mechanism like the JK tailgate closes into at the top or bottom and sides would help. I need to do something with it; either devise some means to make it quiet or pull it out and sell it and make something myself. It's almost as if they just stopped short of finishing it. The noise really bugs my wife.

The concept is great. I really like being able to leave all my recovery gear, tools, spares, maps, some food and water and basic survival gear in the Jeep at all times.

I would make it easier to R&R. Instead of bolting to the seat mounts in front there should be a couple of female recepticles that pins could engage when slid in. And then two bolts or pins in the back to anchor it forward and down. It could be so much better than it is.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by seer1
P.S. Lining the bottom with foam rubber sure keeps the noise down.
I wish doing that would solve my noise problem. I've got everything in Bucket Boss Canvas bags, tool rolls, etc. It is the actual drawer banging around.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by NDynamite
Don't get your panties in a bunch. I was just asking for pics WHEN you're done. Chill out.
You seemed a little impatient and I guess you just wanted to use that no pics comment! Now you've had your moment. Do you have any actual imput to the thread?
Old 07-24-2008, 06:10 AM
JK Super Freak

I've been waiting for one that is narrower and hug's the wasted wheel well space. I don't care if it on the left or right side but right side would making wiring to the battery easier.

I might just have to build my own at this point as everything I've seen is creating sucha large box that it covers the whole rear on the 4 door. I want the ability to fold down the rear seats.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:41 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

[QUOTE=chuck45;609882]
Originally Posted by tuffy2

I have the Tuffy Security Drawer in my JK and, quite frankly, I have some problems with it. The primary one is that it is NOISY; even when loaded with a lot of gear (200#?). It needs to close against something at the back and either side to keep the drawer from moving around and banging. That and then some adjustment to the latching mechanism so that it latches snuggly. Maybe a "V" mechanism like the JK tailgate closes into at the top or bottom and sides would help. I need to do something with it; either devise some means to make it quiet or pull it out and sell it and make something myself. It's almost as if they just stopped short of finishing it. The noise really bugs my wife.

The concept is great. I really like being able to leave all my recovery gear, tools, spares, maps, some food and water and basic survival gear in the Jeep at all times.

I would make it easier to R&R. Instead of bolting to the seat mounts in front there should be a couple of female recepticles that pins could engage when slid in. And then two bolts or pins in the back to anchor it forward and down. It could be so much better than it is.
It sounds like something is not quite right with your drawer because the drawer shouldn't really rattle in the enclosure. I personally have one and have tested many others and they fit pretty tight.

Check to make sure that the attachment point on the passenger side wheel well is secure. If you have the factory subwoofer, the box attaches to the mounting stud on top of the subwoofer. If you do not have the factory subwoofer, you need to attach the box to the hex shaped hole at the base of the roll bar with the included well nut. The reason I mention this is because in almost every case that I have seen a box rattle, the customer either left out this step or it came loose. If the drawer is actually rattling at the latch, try sticking a small rubber bumper on the inside lip face of the drawer where it contacts the drawer enclosure. This will make you have to push the drawer a little harder to latch but will make it tighter when latched. If for some reason you are getting rattling on the sides, try sticking rubber bumpers on the side of the box. If you need help or further advice, contact me at 1-800-348-8339 or send me a PM.

Thanks
Jeff Fox
Tuffy

Quick Reply: Building Storage Box, what would you want yours to have? Give Input.