Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Building Storage Box, what would you want yours to have? Give Input.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building Storage Box, what would you want yours to have? Give Input.

I'm planning to build a storage box this weekend for my JK. I want something secure for my gear when I have my soft top down and a place to keep things organized and not shoved under me seat or in a bag.

My Idea:

-100% secure
-Removable when not needed
-Flip lid w/ tray (dividers for gear, also removable when you need to carry large items in box, or carry tray to camp site or job site)
-Carpet inside box and diamond plate top (clean looks)
-Flip up floor to get to storage area
-Tie downs to mount cooler or other item's to top of box
- Hi Lift jack mount on top (you see what I mean when pics are taken)

Any suggestions to make it better?? What would you like in a detailed organized storage box for your JK??
Old 07-22-2008, 05:03 PM
JK Super Freak

[QUOTE=08{GA}RUBICON;607583]I'm planning to build a storage box this weekend for my JK. I want something secure for my gear when I have my soft top down and a place to keep things organized and not shoved under me seat or in a bag.

My Idea:

-100% secure
-Flip lid w/ tray (dividers for gear, also removable when you need to carry large items in box, or carry tray to camp site or job site)

Great Thread!

I have the Tuffy Cargo Drawer in the back of my unlimited, and am very happy with it. It's not perfect. But it is very good. I'll be subscribing to this thread to get more ideas.

Per your great ideas, I am also going to line the inside of my drawer, and rubber/diamond plate the top and have tie downs on it. I would also like tie downs In It.

I wish I had installed it higher than the instructions tell you to do. It absolutely precludes the ability to open the little storage compartment under it unless I remove the drawer (PITA). The flip up floor sounds great but you'll probably have to empty the box to lift it. Another PITA. Mount it higher.

I love that mine has a drawer. If you have to lift an entire tray with stuff on it out of the top of the box (I Love the idea of a lid on this!) it might be difficult. I would say you should make it with a lid and a drawer to make it more versatile.

I would also put a light inside the box (could be wired or just a "tap it" light).

I would have the top of the box be level (approximately) with the top of the back tub of the Jeep. And I would also consider having the ability to have a basket secured to the top of the box, as well as the tie downs to secure the cooler full of adult beverages.

Looking forward to the pictures!
Old 07-22-2008, 05:13 PM
JK Super Freak

[QUOTE=mmcan;607627]
Originally Posted by 08{GA}RUBICON
I'm planning to build a storage box this weekend for my JK. I want something secure for my gear when I have my soft top down and a place to keep things organized and not shoved under me seat or in a bag.

My Idea:

-100% secure

Great Thread!

I have the Tuffy Cargo Drawer in the back of my unlimited, and am very happy with it. It's not perfect. But it is very good. I'll be subscribing to this thread to get more ideas.

Per your great ideas, I am also going to line the inside of my drawer, and rubber/diamond plate the top and have tie downs on it. I would also like tie downs In It.

I wish I had installed it higher than the instructions tell you to do. It absolutely precludes the ability to open the little storage compartment under it unless I remove the drawer (PITA). The flip up floor sounds great but you'll probably have to empty the box to lift it. Another PITA. Mount it higher.

I love that mine has a drawer. If you have to lift an entire tray with stuff on it out of the top of the box (I Love the idea of a lid on this!) it might be difficult. I would say you should make it with a lid and a drawer to make it more versatile.

I would also put a light inside the box (could be wired or just a "tap it" light).

I would have the top of the box be level (approximately) with the top of the back tub of the Jeep. And I would also consider having the ability to have a basket secured to the top of the box, as well as the tie downs to secure the cooler full of adult beverages.

Looking forward to the pictures!
Thanks for the additional info, i was also thinking of a light and potentially wiring it for electrical stuff (in the future).
Old 07-22-2008, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Old 07-22-2008, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by NDynamite
Hey guy, read before you post. I'm building it this weekend!
Old 07-23-2008, 06:28 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

[QUOTE=mmcan;607627]

!
Just in case you hadn't seen the accessories available for your Tuffy drawer. There are 2 types of tie down rails, rubber/diamond plate matting, carpet kits, and 2 types of interior lights.

Here is a link to some of the accessories:

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-214-1...own-rails.aspx

To keep on topic for the original poster: you may be interested in some of these accessories as well, even if you decide to build your own box
Old 07-23-2008, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm thinking of buying a new unlimited JK to use for work. I currently use a Ford F-150 for work, and will need to be able to work with the smaller payload in the JK. I'll have to use a little creativity. I'm thinking roof rack, but also some sort of mounted tool box.

I'm thinking the toolbox would take up about half of the length of the cargo area behind the seats. It could come up higher than the top of the wheel wells. It will be top opening. I would put some mounts on the outside of it so I could mount things that did not have to be as secure such as a small shovel, fire extinguisher. Also additional tie down points on the outside will help secure a cargo net or other gear on the inside.

If you really want to get fancy, you could put the thing on rails so you could pull it out like a drawer out the back gate and use it for a work bench.

I'm just throwing some ideas out. Typing off the top of my head.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

running some power to the thing would be sweet too. You could have a 12V outlet or even put in an inverter for AC. Throw some lights on it so you could work back there in the dark.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

-100% secure
-Hi Lift jack mount on top (you see what I mean when pics are taken)
I had virtually exactly same ideas and spec needs as you !! My write-up may help you position it (you need to drill and position it between the struts, chassis frame & exhaust) https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/lockbox-bolted-into-jk-trunk-floor-43862/
Mine is removeable if use wing-nuts, but I have it permanently mounted so it won't fly around in the back, and under the Duster its hidden. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:27 AM
JK Freak

cmh2001,
I was at home depot the other day and there was a guy putting one of those ridgid locking tool boxes in the back of his jeep. It fit nice and he loaded all his tools into it and locked them up. He said he was either going to bolt it to the floor or just chain it to the roll bar so he could take it out when he didn't want to carry all his tools around.

Might work for you. There's no way I could get all my stuff into the back of my jeep so I continue to have a work truck.

Quick Reply: Building Storage Box, what would you want yours to have? Give Input.