Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

build suggestions needed

Old 01-02-2012, 02:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default build suggestions needed

So I just graduated college and i am using about $1600 of the money i was given to build my jeep up. I originally had a plan but now the more i look at everything I dont know what i want to do! I am open to suggestions... so far my jeep only has a teraflex 2" lift

One of the things i was thinking about was:

Warn Stubby front bumper
Engo e900 winch w synthetic line
Soft top (trek top nx)
and some flat fender flares

OR:
Warn stubby front bumper
Expo One rear bumper w/ tire carrier

I know there are a lot more options, i could get my lockers finally or spend it all on new tires... im sure there is plenty i havent even thought of yet so leme hear what you think
Old 01-02-2012, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

How about saving it? If just graduated I would guess you have a lot of expenses.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I guess it really depends what kind of build you want to end up with. What do you want from it in the end?
Old 01-02-2012, 03:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I guess it really depends what kind of build you want to end up with. What do you want from it in the end?
X2.... You could build it many different ways to accomplish different things equally so to speak, or build it for a singular purpose... Personally, I enjoy and all purpose rig..
Old 01-02-2012, 03:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just enjoy driving your Jeep and bank the money. Figure out what mods you really need/want vs what everyone around here tells you "got to have". Building your Jeep should be a personal experience based on the type of off road driving you will do.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

Congrats on Graduating !

I've been around jeeping for about 8 years. I've built CJ's, YJ's, and TJ's. I just got a JK so let the next adventure begin

Unless you have a bottomless pool of money, my experience says you should really think about what you intend to use your jeep for..... Mallcruiser, daily driver and light trail rig, hard core trail rig ....... envision how you want your rig to be and go in that direction. It costs way more to build it twice than to build it once. If you start out thinking you want 33's and then in 6 month decide to go to 37's it will cost you more.

Also, I see a lot of people rush to figure out how to get big tires on thier rig. What happens is they do that and then start tearing stuff up because the rest of thier rig isn't built to run 37's. Broken shafts, bent axles and so on. I can take a nearly stock jeep that's armoured up underneith with a winch nearly anywhere a lot of bigger rigs go with less of a chance to break something. Pulling cable aint cool but its usually cheaper
Trussing and tubing an axle doesn't look cool but putting bigger tires on and bending an axle isn't cheap.

If I was building a Jeep on a limited budget I would go for toughness over anything else.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:50 PM
JK Freak

I agree with deciding what your ultimate goal is first and then deciding how to get there. With that said, a front bumper and winch would be a good choice since those mods pretty much fit with any direction you decide to head.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mikekeeper
How about saving it? If just graduated I would guess you have a lot of expenses.
im one of the lucky few who doesnt, i worked all through college, just sold my house and moved to a pretty cheap place have no debt currently . Also i put about 1/2 the money i got into savings, this is just how much i feel comfortable spending on the jeep right now but i may just spend closer to 1000 and put the rest aside for future upgrades... basically this jeep was my graduation present to myself and i have nothing better to spend my money on yet

as far as what im looking for.. within 3 years it will have a 392 hemi in it . The jeep is currently my daily driver but wont always be, i guess i plan on it being somewhere between a light trail rig and hard core trail rig. Since moving back to montana I dont have to worry about protection as much as I did in Colorado, we dont really have the same kind of trails here in Montana but i also know ill be back in colorado (and probably lots of other states) many times a year so my jeep still has to be able to handle some of the more challenging stuff.

Also there is about nothing stopping me from keeping this as my rig until the day no amount of money could get her running again so im not in too much of a hurry

For sure at some point (may end up being down the road) i will be cutting my fender flares, getting a winch, putting 34x12.5 tires on (new wheels too) and getting all new bumpers. Those are the only for sure want to change parts ive been set on since i bought it.

I hope that helps with what i want out of my jeep...

Last edited by deederz; 01-02-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope you went to school for rocket science, cause that hemi shit starts to get EXPENSIVE!!!
What are you doing for work? This might help decide how extreme you may or may not want to go.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NH-JK
I hope you went to school for rocket science, cause that hemi shit starts to get EXPENSIVE!!!
What are you doing for work? This might help decide how extreme you may or may not want to go.
hahaha i know the price for the hemis, fully looked at all options before settling on the hemi... originally i was ALSO going to buy a 2012 grand cherokee srt8... this saves me about half the price (also one less car to insure), good way to look at it :p

I am a freelance graphic designer and also have my own photography business, i am able to control my work schedule which is really nice

Quick Reply: build suggestions needed