Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

build sheet

Old 05-20-2021, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default build sheet

I have 2014 2 door with 321 gears going to 35-11.50- 18 what is the gears I need for DD and to have power to play . Some say 4.88 need help with this. Oh auto trans 3.6 motor thanks
Old 05-20-2021, 10:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Is that Auburndale, FL? Your local terrain could influence suggestions so it helps to know exactly where you are and how you use the jeep. For the 3.6L and 35s with an auto, typically 4.56 is the sweet spot, but there are cases where leaning to 4.88 could be in the cards....like if you live in the mountains.

If you're planning to purchase wheels and it's not too late, most of us would suggest a 17" wheel instead.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Is that Auburndale, FL? Your local terrain could influence suggestions so it helps to know exactly where you are and how you use the jeep. For the 3.6L and 35s with an auto, typically 4.56 is the sweet spot, but there are cases where leaning to 4.88 could be in the cards....like if you live in the mountains.

If you're planning to purchase wheels and it's not too late, most of us would suggest a 17" wheel instead.
Yes auburndale is right . The jeep came with 18 wheels . I want it to be a good DD but I want to go like where we have a lil hills and such but I don't want to hunt trans or motor plus we like going to Daytona so I'm looking for both if possible
Old 05-20-2021, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Resharp001 nailed it ...

If it is honestly a DD for 90% of the time, the 4.56 ratio is the one to go with for comfort and gas mileage.

If you’re going off the asphalt, go with the 4.88’s - in my opinion, Offroad means go with a deeper gear set - it’s just kinder to your Jeep !

Neville
Old 05-20-2021, 10:58 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Understood on trying to re-use the current wheels, they'll work fine.....more of a thing if you were going to purchase wheels and a 17 would be better than buying 18.

Nobody is ever going to complain about the extra low-end power that a lower gearset will give them, so with the 4.88s it's going to be a question if the high-end engine revving will bother you or not. With 35s (which will likely measure more like 33.5-34") the engine would be running close to 2900 RPM @ 70mph. If you drive faster on the interstates then you're easily up over 3k RPM. That may or may not bother you. I would suggest that during some normal highway driving, you force that auto into some lower gears so that you are running in that RPM range and just see how you feel about the engine sound.

I've driven on a tire/gear combo that put me in that rpm range on the highway. It does get a little old on long trips, but I don't have a 4:1 TC and I appreciated the lower gearing for offroading. I'm currently 1 gearset below that now due to an axle swap. There are days I miss my touch lower gearing, and a lot of times I like right where I am now. It would be a similar thing for your situation between 4.56 and 4.88. You'd really be fine with either, it just depends on if you want to lean a bit more aggressive or not.

**if you ever tow anything like a trailer, I'd go with 4.88s

Last edited by resharp001; 05-20-2021 at 11:01 AM.

Quick Reply: build sheet