Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Build planning question

Old 08-06-2013, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GodSpeed on your build, LONEWOLF. Feel free to PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:02 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

As Ryan stated, my longterm plan is to go with 35x or 315 Duratracs or KM2s, but I'm likely to need tires this year -- and those 35s just aren't going to work on factory wheels with no lift and no spacers. I don't mean to ignore anyone, but advice like "lift now, tires later" doesn't help me because it simply isn't applicable to my situation.

As pleasurable a frustration as Jeeping can be, there certainly is frustration nevertheless to a new guy like me in that there are so many variables. Tire X will work with no lift, while Tire Y needs at least the leveling kit. Tire X in a metric size might work in this configuration, but probably not that one.

Oh, what a fun headache!
Old 08-06-2013, 09:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneWolf
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

As Ryan stated, my longterm plan is to go with 35x or 315 Duratracs or KM2s, but I'm likely to need tires this year -- and those 35s just aren't going to work on factory wheels with no lift and no spacers. I don't mean to ignore anyone, but advice like "lift now, tires later" doesn't help me because it simply isn't applicable to my situation.

As pleasurable a frustration as Jeeping can be, there certainly is frustration nevertheless to a new guy like me in that there are so many variables. Tire X will work with no lift, while Tire Y needs at least the leveling kit. Tire X in a metric size might work in this configuration, but probably not that one.

Oh, what a fun headache!
If you're on a budget, you absolutely could run 35's on stock wheels (with spacers) and no lift temporarily. Cut fenders would help. Cut pinch seam either way.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by kh202

If you're on a budget, you absolutely could run 35's on stock wheels (with spacers) and no lift temporarily. Cut fenders would help. Cut pinch seam either way.
X2. At the end of the day, it's your Jeep. As you have stated, you are wanting 35's, so no need to settle and waste money on anything smaller. You will be disappointed and more than likely regret it. If budget is your main concern, you could always go with a used lift and tires, as long as they are in good condition. Check the for sale section on this forum, and even craigslist. You will always get many opinions on what is the best, right, or wrong, so always ask around and make the decision that works the best for you.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I ran the 33" Duratracs WITH SPACERS on the stock wheels because they rubbed at full lock and loved them and those tires are awesome...the KM2's do not do well on the trail IMO and everybody I ride with that have bought them, got rid of them real quick after a couple times out and having to get pulled out of the smaller mud holes in the trail!
Old 08-06-2013, 01:32 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK UNLIMITED
I ran the 33" Duratracs WITH SPACERS on the stock wheels because they rubbed at full lock and loved them and those tires are awesome...the KM2's do not do well on the trail IMO and everybody I ride with that have bought them, got rid of them real quick after a couple times out and having to get pulled out of the smaller mud holes in the trail!
My km2's and open diffs have held their own against tons of others.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kh202

My km2's and open diffs have held their own against tons of others.
The driver has a lot to with that I am sure...and it is personal opinion of course but I remember awhile ago you said that only an idiot would buy a RUBICON so I have to consider the source on this one...
Old 08-07-2013, 03:29 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK UNLIMITED

The driver has a lot to with that I am sure...and it is personal opinion of course but I remember awhile ago you said that only an idiot would buy a RUBICON so I have to consider the source on this one...
Wow dude way to take my words WAY out of context. I said hypothetically if prorock 44's were an affordable option for everyone (with gears, lockers, shafts, ball joints, ect), spending the money for a rubicon would in fact not make much sense....at all!

Last edited by kh202; 08-07-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JK Inspired
Do the leveling kit with 285/75/17 km2s on stock wheels with ZERO RUBBING and NO WHEEL SPACERS.
So whats your deal with being so anti Wheel spacer? I ran mine for 4 years no problems. You can run a quality spacer with no problems. I even had my local 4x4 shop put them on and check them from time to time.

For the OP get some tread wright 315 70 17's they are running a special 162 ea and the 5th one is free. They measure 11.5" wide and 34.5" tall at 26 Psi. Saves you money and you can get a 2.5" budget boost on top with the money saved and its a win win situation.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK

So whats your deal with being so anti Wheel spacer? I ran mine for 4 years no problems. You can run a quality spacer with no problems. I even had my local 4x4 shop put them on and check them from time to time.

For the OP get some tread wright 315 70 17's they are running a special 162 ea and the 5th one is free. They measure 11.5" wide and 34.5" tall at 26 Psi. Saves you money and you can get a 2.5" budget boost on top with the money saved and its a win win situation.
I've never heard great things about spacers, and if local shops won't work on the area because they're there (as I've seen some say), I'm out of luck.

I'm not familiar with Tread Wrights. Are those retreads?

Quick Reply: Build planning question