Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Build planning question

Old 08-05-2013, 09:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Build planning question

OK, so the good news is that I'm anticipating my stock SR-As likely will need to be replaced by the end of the year.

Bad news, I won't be financially ready by then to do the AEV or Teraflex 2.5-inch lift/wheels AND the 35-inch tires I want.

So, here's what I'm thinking -- and what I'd like your opinions on:

==> I go with 33-inch tires for now. (Leaning toward Duratracs, but KM2s are on the list as well.)

==> As a stopgap, I go with a simple leveling kit -- probably something easily removable, such as the TF kit. (Teraflex 1155200 - Teraflex Leveling Kit for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec)

==> I keep stock wheels for now. At this point, my work schedule and my wife's nerves dictate that at least 95 percent of my driving is on highways and surface streets, so I wouldn't think rubbing would be a terrible issue. (Can anyone with experience with either the Duratracs or KM2s confirm a lack of/safely minimal rubbing on road?)

The plan then would be to get aftermarket wheels and whichever lift I ultimately choose before the 33s wear out.

Thoughts? Anyone see any holes in my brilliant plan, or any way to accomplish the same thing more inexpensively?

Last edited by LoneWolf; 08-05-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I would do the lift, even a budget boost, get the 35's, and use the stock wheels. You will need a set of 1.5" spacers which from time to time you can find used on here. You could even go with a used lift to save some money.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LoneWolf
OK, so the good news is that I'm anticipating my stock SR-As likely will need to be replaced by the end of the year.

Bad news, I won't be financially ready by then to do the AEV or Teraflex 2.5-inch lift/wheels AND the 35-inch tires I want.

So, here's what I'm thinking -- and what I'd like your opinions on:

==> I go with 33-inch tires. (Leaning toward Duratracs, but KM2s are on the list as well.)

==> As a stopgap, I go with a simple leveling kit -- probably something easily removable, such as the TF kit. (Teraflex 1155200 - Teraflex Leveling Kit for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec)

==> I keep stock wheels for now. At this point, my work schedule and my wife's nerves dictate that at least 95 percent of my driving is on highways and surface streets, so I wouldn't think rubbing would be a terrible issue. (Can anyone with experience with either the Duratracs or KM2s confirm a lack of/safely minimal rubbing on road?)

The plan then would be to get aftermarket wheels and whichever lift I ultimately choose before the 33s wear out.

Thoughts? Anyone see any holes in my brilliant plan, or any way to accomplish the same thing more inexpensively?
Do the leveling kit with 285/75/17 km2s on stock wheels with ZERO RUBBING and NO WHEEL SPACERS.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If you want 35's, get 35's. You'll just kick yourself in the ass for buying 33's. Get any of the cheap BB's. Chop your flares. Add wheel spacers. Go have fun.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:39 PM
JK Freak

There's no way I can afford the 35s this year, since that would mean I'd have to simultaneously do the lift and wheels. (I don't like the idea of wheel spacers if I can get by without them and I want to avoid chopping up any parts.) I look at the thought of 33s as a necessary compromise. I'll still get to the 35s -- I just won't go into debt to get there.

Inspired, are you speaking from experience on the BFG 285s? (The KM2s originally had been my tire of choice, but after last year's 20-inch blizzard, the Duratrac's snow performance became VERY appealing.)

Since my plans include a legitimate lift down the road, could I get away without a lift/leveling kit for now? (New wheels and the lift could be as much as a year down the road.)

Last edited by LoneWolf; 08-05-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lift first. Run the stock wheels/tires till you can afford 35's. I bought 33's first for my '07 and regretted it even before I got my lift. Once I had my RK lift on I liked the 33's even less. Now with my 2013 it's on the RK 2.5" with stock wheels/tires till I can afford the rubber I actually want.

That's an RK 2.5" Flex system with stock wheels/tires. I have 3/4" Daystar spacers that will likely be put in when I upgrade to 35's.

Last edited by Cozmik; 08-05-2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Removed thumbnail image
Old 08-05-2013, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are forced to get 33s, i suggest getting super swampers. They only last about 15k miles and you will have the excuse on why you need to upgrade your tires so soon. As someone who has been married for nineteen years you have to think strategically when the funds are not quite there to get what you want, but you dont want to wait 3 years to get it.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LoneWolf
There's no way I can afford the 35s this year, since that would mean I'd have to simultaneously do the lift and wheels. (I don't like the idea of wheel spacers if I can get by without them and I want to avoid chopping up any parts.) I look at the thought of 33s as a necessary compromise. I'll still get to the 35s -- I just won't go into debt to get there.

Inspired, are you speaking from experience on the BFG 285s? (The KM2s originally had been my tire of choice, but after last year's 20-inch blizzard, the Duratrac's snow performance became VERY appealing.)

Since my plans include a legitimate lift down the road, could I get away without a lift/leveling kit for now? (New wheels and the lift could be as much as a year down the road.)
Yeppers on the 285/75. They are a 33.8/11.2 and are on Our JK with stock rims WITHOUT wheel spacers. Thee TFLKit will give enough height for the 34s
Old 08-05-2013, 03:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK Inspired

Yeppers on the 285/75. They are a 33.8/11.2 and are on Our JK with stock rims WITHOUT wheel spacers. Thee TFLKit will give enough height for the 34s
P.S., running a 12 inch wide or greater tire on stock 7.5 wheels, is less than ideal and will not occur on Our rig. If I wanted to join the 35 inch "club," I would have done stock rims with a 35/10.5 SSR or done a 35/12.5 KM2 with a 71.5-73mm center bore wheel with a width of 8.5-9.0. So that means lift, tires AND wheels to join a fricking club?! NOOO thank you!!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JK Inspired

P.S., running a 12 inch wide or greater tire on stock 7.5 wheels, is less than ideal and will not occur on Our rig. If I wanted to join the 35 inch "club," I would have done stock rims with a 35/10.5 SSR or done a 35/12.5 KM2 with a 71.5-73mm center bore wheel with a width of 8.5-9.0. So that means lift, tires AND wheels to join a fricking club?! NOOO thank you!!
Many, including myself, have no issues whatsoever, even aired down, running 12.50 tires on the 7.5" wheel. Tires are wearing and handle perfectly. They may not be "ideal", but they work fine and I would not hesitate to recommend running them that way. I definitely wouldn't go any wider than that on that width wheel though, as they do sit somewhat narrow.

Quick Reply: Build planning question