Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Build My own Lift?

Old 10-06-2012, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build My own Lift?

Ok, so I want to build my own lift kit, but I am not sure of everything I will need. I want a 3.5 inch lift, but I'm not sure of the companies or specifics I want yet. What is everything that I am going to need: springs, shocks, control arms, etc.?
Old 10-06-2012, 11:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also need longer sway bar end links, extended brake lines, adjustable track bar... What's the issue with buying a complete kit? All the parts are there and more importantly, it's all engineered to work together.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by afpilot82
Also need longer sway bar end links, extended brake lines, adjustable track bar... What's the issue with buying a complete kit? All the parts are there and more importantly, it's all engineered to work together.
I wanted a more specific kit, but after looking into it all Im thinking, Ill probably go that way. Possibly AEV 3.5?
Old 10-06-2012, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with afpilot82 here there is a lot of engineering going into a suspension lift. Buying a kit means it was all designed to work and work well together and make your jeep better. It's the same way with engines and mods for engines, a kit that was designed to work together always works better than a hodge podge of parts from various places. Just my .02. I've seen guys build their own and I understand the pride in doing so but I think buying a kit is a better idea considering how many we'll build kits are out there and if you break a control arm or bushings go bad it's easier and faster to replace. Good luck though if you still decide to go your route!
Old 10-06-2012, 11:45 AM
JK Junkie

Some things you can build your own. Such as brake line extensions and bump stops. For control arms, shocks, spacers, and coils, just shop around. Some higher end companies have shock/ coil combos where the shocks are valved to correspond with the coil compression and flex.

Personally, I am made my own brake line extensions and bump stops. I then bought Rough Country 4" springs and shocks, waiting on a few things before I install.

You don't have to go all from one company. There's many guys that run AEV coils, Bilstein shocks, JKS Adjustable track bar, and EVO drag link flip (to use an example).

I would suggest however, keep all 4 coils the same brand, and keep all 4 shocks the same brand. Don't run AEV coils in front and Tea Flex coils in rear. They are both great companies, but you have more chance for a rougher ride by not keeping all 4 corners equal.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...17/#post211272

Quick Reply: Build My own Lift?