Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Build D44 or buy?

Old 03-10-2011, 02:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Build D44 or buy?

I have a Rubicon D44 with 5.13 gears, the e-locker, c-reinforcements an ARB cover, a Currie HD tie rod and the drag link flip + a sleeve that allows a stock height rig to run the normal drag link configuration.

I am now at a cross roads. I can either build the D44, buy a HD D44, or buy a D60. I already run 5x5.5 wheels and want manual hubs so any of the three routes would end up with them.

Option 1: Build existing D44 with the solid hub conversion, an ARB, new chromo inner shafts and an axle sleeve kit.

Option 2: Buy a HD 44 with the same set up as above but with full 60 outers. This should prove much stronger, but cost more.

Option 3: Buy a D 60 with everything above, but full 60 components.

I estimate the cost for #1 above to be about $4000. The cost for #2 is about $6300 and the cost for #3 is about $7200.

If I can get 1500-2000 for my axle as it sits why would I build it when I can almost step across to the new 44, or for "only" a few hundred more, get the 60 and be done with it.

I run 38" tires and about 5.5" of lift currently and don't plan to go bigger. I do plan to run front coilovers at some point. I run dual 60's on my other jeep with 37's and have never broken anything. It has coilovers.

What are your thoughts and opinions?

Last edited by BKGM Jeepers; 03-10-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:00 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Option 1 is a waste of money. Option 2 would work, but with the manual hubs, it is so close to option 3 that it doesn't make a lot of sense. (A direct swap into an off the shelf PR44 for 2k would make sense, but not a custom build with 60 ends.)

Go for option 3.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

pro rock 44 would be my choice.

David
Old 03-10-2011, 03:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by planman
So, #1 is sleeves, Super 44, and Spyntec?

#2 is ProRock 44 built disc to disc with lockout hubs, ARB/Super44?

#3 is Currie, Dynatrac, or Solid built disc to disc?

Do you already have hydro assist?

I'm on my phone. So, I don't see your build specs.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
No hydro assist. I don't have plans to install hydro assist at this point. I don't run hydro assist in my other jeep. I believe you have the options correct as well.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:18 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
pro rock 44 would be my choice.

David
Hi David,
Could you explain why option 2? Is it weight? ground clearance? price? best balance of all three? Something else?

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would not dump 4K into a stock D44 that is why I picked a pro rock 44. I also wouldnt put hubs on it.

David
Old 03-10-2011, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you do get a new front axle depending on the time, I may be interested. Timing is everything and cost. The other thing to think of is, why wouldn't someone else just spend the few extra $$$ and buy new. The educated person will buy the new over used.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
Option 1: Build existing D44 with the solid hub conversion, an ARB, new chromo inner shafts and an axle sleeve kit. Unless you remove and re-install the factory 'C's, you still have bad castor angle. If you haven't already changed them out, at some point you'll be changing nearly every bracket on the housing. I think your $4k price is a little light unless you're doing all the work. After all the work and cash you'll have in it, it will still be a factory 44 worth less than $3k when you go to sell it.

Option 2: Buy a HD 44 with the same set up as above but with full 60 outers. This should prove much stronger, but cost more. This will cost nearly as much as a 60 but should be enough for 38's. The advantage is a much lighter housing and better ground clearance than even our ProRock 60. To date, I've heard of 1 (yes one) JK 44 front gear set failure with any size tire. The JK 44 HP front gear set has proven to be very reliable(the rear-not so much).

Option 3: Buy a D 60 with everything above, but full 60 components.

I estimate the cost for #1 above to be about $4000. The cost for #2 is about $6300 and the cost for #3 is about $7200.

If I can get 1500-2000 for my axle as it sits why would I build it when I can almost step across to the new 44, or for "only" a few hundred more, get the 60 and be done with it. This can also be a good choice as you can grow into it. It will easily support a Hemi conversion later. The 60 front will be wider than your 44 and you'll want to use spacers on your rear 44 until you upgrade it to a 60.
One of the things we're seeing with JK Unlimiteds is that they are getting fat. Really fat. Weight is really tough on parts. A fully loaded Unlimited is nearly exceeding the limits of a semi float axle. Some guys carry everything needed to re-build their rig while others carry a few spare parts and hope for the best. Keep the weight as low as possible and you'll break fewer parts.

I know it sounds stupid and conceited but when I spend a load of money I want to be able to see it. If I spend $,$$$ on a front end I want to be able to see that it's not stock under there. I can't tell you how many guys I've talked to that have said that after they installed their ProRocks, they would go out into the garage and stare at them for hours.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:52 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks!

Can a semi-float rear HP 60 axle be converted to full float?
Old 03-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
Thanks!

Can a semi-float rear HP 60 axle be converted to full float?
For practical purposes, no. It can but it's so expensive and time consuming it's not hardly worth it.

Quick Reply: Build D44 or buy?