Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Build 1 tons? Or buy dana ultimate 60s?

Old 10-04-2016, 09:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be building ford 1 tons this winter. Got the pair for $600. I should have about $600 in gears and install kits, and maybe another $200 in brackets that I won't be making. Run stock shafts as they're plenty strong for now and I'll weld the front until I get a locker. Way cheaper than ultimates. Not even in the same realm. They won't have all the fancy shit at first, but it gets strength while still saving for the rest of the upgrades.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
I'll be building ford 1 tons this winter. Got the pair for $600. I should have about $600 in gears and install kits, and maybe another $200 in brackets that I won't be making. Run stock shafts as they're plenty strong for now and I'll weld the front until I get a locker. Way cheaper than ultimates. Not even in the same realm. They won't have all the fancy shit at first, but it gets strength while still saving for the rest of the upgrades.
Good Luck.

I ended up with about 10k in my ford 60 and 14 bolt. All new bearings, seals, ARBs, gears, brakes, calipers, etc etc and did all the work myself. There is meat to cut off the bone but just not worth it.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with Dr. Dirty. I'm at about $10K in my Kingpin and 14B. Shit adds up real quick. Not sure why you want to cut corners and not go the extra mile and build it right. Hate to have to get into it again later. I was already into my build when the UD60's came out, otherwise i would've gone that direction. But I'm not regretting my build.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you all for the info and tips really helping me make my decision !
Old 10-04-2016, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are people liking these more than RockJock or Dynatrac Axles? What are the differences ?
Old 10-04-2016, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by YukonBlu
Are people liking these more than RockJock or Dynatrac Axles? What are the differences ?
For the price of a high pinion semi float rear from Currie or Dynatrac you get a low pinion full float, big brake rear axle from Dana/Mopar which is significantly stronger.

Front axles are similar to each other.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

UD60's here also.

I was sold on them being fully bolt on. As I am not a welder and needed axles that I could bolt in and go.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dr.dirty
Good Luck. I ended up with about 10k in my ford 60 and 14 bolt. All new bearings, seals, ARBs, gears, brakes, calipers, etc etc and did all the work myself. There is meat to cut off the bone but just not worth it.
I didn't say there wouldn't be 10k in them all said and done, but that won't be for long after they've been under the jeep and running. Arbs are not "needed", neither are calipers if you get working ones with the axles. There is ALOT of meat to be cut off the bones. This is where the disconnect between forums and reality exists. Everything is always, "you might as well" or "its only 5k more". That isn't realistic.
The goal is to do the most, with the least. RCVs, ARBs, and shit like that is not essential, by any means.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by helnbk
I agree with Dr. Dirty. I'm at about $10K in my Kingpin and 14B. Shit adds up real quick. Not sure why you want to cut corners and not go the extra mile and build it right. Hate to have to get into it again later. I was already into my build when the UD60's came out, otherwise i would've gone that direction. But I'm not regretting my build.
Essentially, that is like saying, why buy a jeep and then add a lift, axles, and such later? why not do it all as soon as it's purchased? Because it's not always affordable at once. I for one have no problem upgrading shit as needed, for the most part.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:35 AM
JK Junkie

Enter Fusion 4x4 best of both worlds.

Quick Reply: Build 1 tons? Or buy dana ultimate 60s?