Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Budget Boost...Need New Driveshafts?

Old 10-12-2009, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget Boost...Need New Driveshafts?

I have a 2dr, auto, 3.73 gears, 35s and a 3" BB.

I read the basic Q&As and discovered a 3" lift may make my CV boots wear out prematurely. Do I still run the risk of premature wearing if my lift is actually a 3" BB rather than a traditional lift? If I will have the same problem with my 3" BB then what is considered "premature"? Are we talking 20,000 miles? 75,000? 100,000?

It seems like the dealer could easily prove that I caused this problem with my BB and not cover this repair. What is the absolute minimum I need to do to prevent this from happening and what will it cost? My JK is my daily driver and I hit some light trails 4 times a year.

What other potential issues may I be facing with my setup? Thanks!
Old 10-12-2009, 08:54 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definately going to affect the shafts at 3" on a 2 dr... Should be ok for a while but its pushing the limits. The dealer can claim the angles of the driveshafts caused failure.
Longer driveshafts and brakeline extensions will help.

Last edited by armycop; 10-12-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:56 AM
JK Super Freak

with any lift and over sized tires parts will wear out faster than normal. On a 2 door with only 3 inches you should be ok. but then again every jeep is slightly different i know someone that needed to replace their driveshafts with a 2.5 inch lift If you only hit trails about 4 times a year i would say you are good though, get the lift then if you need a driveshaft, get one. Who makes a 3" bb anyway??
Old 10-12-2009, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

I was told the 3" BB was Pro Comp.

Approximately how much would this repair cost me down the road?
Old 10-12-2009, 09:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Just do what I did. I bought a spare rear DS from the for sale section. It's just sitting in my garage if I ever need it. You only need to worry about the rear one.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Driveshafts are about $450each and a good investment. If mine go bad, I would replace them with a longer quality custom aftermarket one instead of a shoddy factory shaft.

Quick Reply: Budget Boost...Need New Driveshafts?