Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Budget Boost with disconnect Question????

Old 02-26-2014, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget Boost with disconnect Question????

Hi gang.

If this issue has already been posted somewhere else...except my apologize. I just haven't found the answer.

Here it is: My 2010 Sport currently has a RC BB on it for the last 3-4 years with no complaints or issues. I'm in the process of adding a tranny/oil skid as I'm planning on doing some lite/mild off roading. Nothing hardcore. (As I have my YJ for that - : )) My JK is my daily driver as well.

Question: I'm considering adding some JKS disconnects up front to allow for some additional flexing. With the Steel BB spacers, would this be recommended to add the disconnects? I didn't know if there would be a problem with the spacers falling out, etc..??

If anyone has any insight or if anyone is currently running a BB and has disconnects and could share your thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.

2nd part of question: If adding a heavy duty rockhard skid, due to the weight, will it add any additional stress on the springs themselves whereas I should save for a coil lift in the future? Again, I don't want a coil lift as I'm happy with my current set up. Just didn't know if it will cause some sagging on the suspension? or not since its under the vehicle and not on top of the frame?

Thanks guys/gals!

Last edited by ibjeepin2; 02-26-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had a 2" spacer lift and done mild rock crawling for a year and a half with no problems. Disconnected every time.

A skid doesn't weigh that much to cause sag. My sliders weigh 52 pounds a piece and I didn't notice any sag.

Do you have longer shocks or extensions?
Old 02-26-2014, 05:03 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ibjeepin2
Hi gang.

If this issue has already been posted somewhere else...except my apologize. I just haven't found the answer.

Here it is: My 2010 Sport currently has a RC BB on it for the last 3-4 years with no complaints or issues. I'm in the process of adding a tranny/oil skid as I'm planning on doing some lite/mild off roading. Nothing hardcore. (As I have my YJ for that - : )) My JK is my daily driver as well.

Question: I'm considering adding some JKS disconnects up front to allow for some additional flexing. With the Steel BB spacers, would this be recommended to add the disconnects? I didn't know if there would be a problem with the spacers falling out, etc..??

If anyone has any insight or if anyone is currently running a BB and has disconnects and could share your thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.

2nd part of question: If adding a heavy duty rockhard skid, due to the weight, will it add any additional stress on the springs themselves whereas I should save for a coil lift in the future? Again, I don't want a coil lift as I'm happy with my current set up. Just didn't know if it will cause some sagging on the suspension? or not since its under the vehicle and not on top of the frame?

Thanks guys/gals!

You shouldn't have a problem disconnecting since you don't plan on getting to crazy with this rig. You could always add coil retainers to make sure that the spring doesn't come off the perch.

As for the skid it will absolutely add additional weight to the front. The extra weight will cause the springs to compress more but I can't comment on how much they will sag. Going to a coil lift is definitely a better option but it may not be needed.

Best thing to do is add the skid and budget for a coil lift. If you decide you don't need or want to replace the coils then you just saved up for something else.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wheeled the heck out of my Jeep with a 2.5" BB for almost 2 years....Moab, Rausch Creek etc.....most definitely you should be disconnecting the sway bar when going off road. Either get some quick disconnects such as JKS or take the time with 2 18mm wrenches and get under the Jeep to remove them each trip. Or you can splurge and buy my Rubicon E-Disco I have for sale and be like the Rubicon guys and simply push a button in the dash to disconnect
Old 02-26-2014, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the Info. Looks like disconnects are the next item up for purchase. Thanks for taking the time. DKehler, I have longer shocks and no shock extensions so I should be ok with the shocks not bottoming out.

Quick Reply: Budget Boost with disconnect Question????