Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Budget boost to coil lift

Old 03-29-2013, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will not be for a while but I think I will just go with the 2.5 inch coils
Old 03-29-2013, 02:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sahara4me
be very careful how high you go on a 2door with stock driveshafts, anything over 3" and some lifts at 3" need front and rear shafts or bad things can happen.
4 doors have more of the problem. You can go 3.5 inches with no problems
Old 03-29-2013, 02:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tribulation138

4 doors have more of the problem. You can go 3.5 inches with no problems
I'm running a rock krawler 2.5 on my 2 door. It netted just under 4" of lift. I am currently running stock shafts (have Adams front and rear on order). You will be fine with stock shafts, but the front shaft will contact your tranny skid at full droop and limit your travel. The front will blow up eventually, but the rear will be fine unless you do hard wheeling.

IMO, if you wheel your rig. I would replace the shafts front and rear before they leave you stranded or blow up your transfer case if one fails to that extent. It will not be necessary right away, but most say they get around 60k out of the shafts at that height before they fail.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by moz832006

The bracket has like three different settings depending on your lift before or after a heavier bumper so you can adjust it accordingly. They are made specifically to dial in a proper castor angle. Look it up on their website. Spend an average of $300 on just the lower set of adjustable control arms that the bushings will wear quickly or keep your factory arms that'll last waaay longer and spend only $99.

My issue with stock arms is not an argument of drop brackets vs adjustable. My issue with them is that they bend too easily if you actually wheel your rig. Aftermarket adjustables like rock krawler are solid steel and can basically hold the weight if a jeep falling off a rock. So the $200 price difference between brackets and adj control arms is justices for people that use their jeep for rock crawling.

The brackets wouldn't last very long on trails we run here in the northeast since they hang low and scream "rip me off".

I have nothing against any method that people use to adjust caster (arms, brackets, cam bolts) as long as they understand the disadvantages of each choice. The only real disadvantage to adjustable arms is upfront cost. The joints will last a long time assuming you follow the recommended maintenance. Stock arms will be fine as long as you avoid rocks or spend big money on skids. Brackets are fine for daily driving, sand, mud and dirt wheeling. Rocks...you have to be very careful.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
My issue with stock arms is not an argument of drop brackets vs adjustable. My issue with them is that they bend too easily if you actually wheel your rig. Aftermarket adjustables like rock krawler are solid steel and can basically hold the weight if a jeep falling off a rock. So the $200 price difference between brackets and adj control arms is justices for people that use their jeep for rock crawling.

The brackets wouldn't last very long on trails we run here in the northeast since they hang low and scream "rip me off".

I have nothing against any method that people use to adjust caster (arms, brackets, cam bolts) as long as they understand the disadvantages of each choice. The only real disadvantage to adjustable arms is upfront cost. The joints will last a long time assuming you follow the recommended maintenance. Stock arms will be fine as long as you avoid rocks or spend big money on skids. Brackets are fine for daily driving, sand, mud and dirt wheeling. Rocks...you have to be very careful.
To people who actual use their jeeps and rock crawl, a long arm upgrade is best rather than just upgrading to adjustable short arms. It would be smart to use the stock arms till they bend one day, which will not always happen, then buy adjustable arms.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 3" on my 2 door and ywh there's some stress on the drive shaft but if u look at my pinion angle there isn't much stress on the drive shaft and if u get rear upper control arms u can change the pinion angle to help relieve stress
Old 03-29-2013, 03:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by moz832006

To people who actual use their jeeps and rock crawl, a long arm upgrade is best rather than just upgrading to adjustable short arms. It would be smart to use the stock arms till they bend one day, which will not always happen, then buy adjustable arms.
If I ever buy a new jeep or swap out my current lift, I'd do a long arm so I agree with you there.

As for bending stock arms, my fear is having an arm bend too much or break which makes getting home a bit of an issue. And yes, I've seen it many times. Plus, we have to drive 2+ hours to every trail we have out here so driving a 4" lifted jeep on stock arms and no caster adjustment is not exactly fun either.

Quick Reply: Budget boost to coil lift