Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Budget boost to coil lift

Old 03-28-2013, 07:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget boost to coil lift

If I have a teraflex budget boost on my jeep right now can I just swap the stock coils and spacers for 2.5 inch coils? Would I be able to go with 3 inches?
Old 03-28-2013, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes and yes
Old 03-28-2013, 09:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by thecoz
Yes and yes
So I would be able to buy 3 inch springs and just put them in without doing anything to the rest of the lift kit?
Old 03-28-2013, 09:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Its almost the same just 1/2" higher. If you installed the rear sway bar drop down bracket and shock extenders with the budge boost then you'll be fine. Maybe bumpstop spacer and longer front sway bar links or extensions? You may also need brake line extension brackets. All the above are pretty cheap if you don't have them already.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

After I did my coil life 3" I had to get front lower control arms to adjust my castor To manipulate the vehicle for the lift
Old 03-29-2013, 12:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm doing the same thing, going from a BB to a full lift, but I'm doing the coils last. I did tie rod, extended discos, and front adjustable track bar, next is rear track bar, lower CAs, drag link, and brake lines. That way I know when I throw the coils in, I'll know everything is going to work well. Don't rush it, you could add coils(which generally give you more lift then they advertise) and wear out a lot of stuff that will cause DW and end up costing you more. Do the transition in stages. Switch everything to adjustable so once you go taller you can dial in you steering again. You might buy 3 inch coils, and end up getting 4+ inches of lift until they settle. Without being to adjust LCAs or track bars, that would make or one terrible ride.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can also get aev front lower control arm drop down bracket for $99. It does exactly what an adjustable control arm does and UT would be better to keep the factory arms due to them lasting longer. Unless you upgrade to a longarm, save the money and keep them.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:40 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moz832006
You can also get aev front lower control arm drop down bracket for $99. It does exactly what an adjustable control arm does and UT would be better to keep the factory arms due to them lasting longer. Unless you upgrade to a longarm, save the money and keep them.
^Not necessarily, it makes the control arm fixed. Having adjustables allow you to properly dial in your castor depending on lift yeild; heavier bumpers and winches throw your geometry off as well.

To OP, go with the 3" coils... See what you think, if it's too 'flighty' swap out those front lower CA's (reccomended adjustable).
Old 03-29-2013, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

be very careful how high you go on a 2door with stock driveshafts, anything over 3" and some lifts at 3" need front and rear shafts or bad things can happen.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Offroad_Elements
^Not necessarily, it makes the control arm fixed. Having adjustables allow you to properly dial in your castor depending on lift yeild; heavier bumpers and winches throw your geometry off as well.

To OP, go with the 3" coils... See what you think, if it's too 'flighty' swap out those front lower CA's (reccomended adjustable).
The bracket has like three different settings depending on your lift before or after a heavier bumper so you can adjust it accordingly. They are made specifically to dial in a proper castor angle. Look it up on their website. Spend an average of $300 on just the lower set of adjustable control arms that the bushings will wear quickly or keep your factory arms that'll last waaay longer and spend only $99.

Quick Reply: Budget boost to coil lift