Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

broken winch

Old 12-31-2011, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken winch

I was using my smittybuilt xrc8 winch this morning and it broke. I had used it a couple times and i picked it up on craigslist for 150 bucks. Is there any way to fix it? i took it apart and i found the problem theres a magnet and its broken. If it cant be fixed any suggestions on good winches under $600.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0321.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	256811  
Old 12-31-2011, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about fixing your winch, but I would recommended the Recon 10.5k winch. Its got a pretty solid reputation and hasn't let me down yet
Old 12-31-2011, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ditch it and get another.

My advice to you is to not throw any more good money at a bad winch. Pick out a winch you like with a series wound motor as the permenant magnet motors are weak and slow. I believe Smittybilt quit putting out that winch with a permenant magnet anyway.

My best piece of advice to you or anyone looking for a winch is to check and see if there are any spare parts available for your choice of winch. A lot of the winches are throw away as there are no parts available. A winch that is worth your money will be rebuildable. Just my .
Old 12-31-2011, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Bernigoober
I don't know about fixing your winch, but I would recommended the Recon 10.5k winch. Its got a pretty solid reputation and hasn't let me down yet
Yeah for the money recon can't be beat...

Quick Reply: broken winch