Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is This Broken? What does it do? What can I upgrade it to?

Old 12-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boon4376
So I hit this thing while offroading, and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my steering, but I don't know what it's called, what exactly it does, if it needs to be replaced, and..
  • what would be a replacement that would stand up to abuse better? and improve handling at the same time.
  • Is there a skid plate for this / or does it relocate higher?

When I jack up my frame or axel and get some flex, I can hear a creaking / cracking at a certain point, and I'm wondering if it is this?
My steering feels a bit less precise, but I'm not sure whether it's all in my head.

Attachment 520046
I would take a look at the Bilstein 5100 Series Steering Stabilizer. Bilstein makes great shock products and this will work well for you. It'll be a direct bolt in or work with any of the relocation kits your looking at.

JKS makes a U-bold style tie rod clamp that isn't as fancy as the Synergy one but it'll save you $10. You can also get an OME stabilizer and relocation bracket for $112. Add the U-bolts and you're all set.

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Ryan
Old 12-30-2013, 11:03 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by boon4376
... From what I read, you also need a new tie rod clamp with the '12+ - does that kit include it?
Hmmm. I helped a friend put a ton of mods on his '12 over a seven day period last year, including the JeepSWAG relocation kit. I don't remember a special clamp, but whatever was required came in the kit. As for my '07, it is modified because I have the much beefier Currie rods, which do require a larger clamp. And I took my SS to the drag link instead of the tie rod to keep it from getting banged up.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Bump steer happens due to axle shifting side to side during articulation, not the tires turning so the steering stabilizer has no affect on it. When the axles shifts the drag link pulls on the pitman arm turning the steering wheel. Bump steer will happen with any vehicle that uses a drag and track bar but is minimized by having the links parallel and as level as possible, once you lift the vehicle and the links become angled it increases the amount of bump steer you get.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 12-30-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:06 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Bump steer happens due to axle shifting side to side during articulation, not the tires turning so the steering stabilizer has no affect on it. When the axles shifts the drag link pulls on the pitman arm turning the steering wheel. Bump steer will happen with any vehicle that uses a drag and track bar but is minimized by having the links parallel and as level as possible, once you lift the vehicle and the links become angled it increases the amount of bump steer you get.
Ah. Thank you.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your steering stabilizer doesnt do anything but hide other steering related problems. Ditch it entirely.

Quick Reply: Is This Broken? What does it do? What can I upgrade it to?