Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Broken Track Bar Bracket

Old 05-05-2007, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics coming soon... plus an additional $.02

Sorry for the late response. After posting the thread I haven't been online. I don't have a pic of the bracket torn off as Steve was quick to get the Jeep in to his shop, but I will have pics of the mods Tuesday. Upon examining the part with his crew yesterday the OEM bracket was not welded correctly, had poor penetration, etc. However for stock use it would have been fine. The bracket itself is also too thin a guage. The guys rewelded the bracket back in place on both sides not just one like DC and added additional support to help relieve the stress.

Its easy to point fingers in situations like this like everyone is doing, BUT we are modifying the vehicles, they are brand new and have had much history and feedback, and hiccups like this should be expected. What's the solution. Well, several: 1. DC should beef up these and other brackets. 2. Aftermarket folks like Skyjacker should put new products through more stress testing prior to release. 3. Once released when problems like this occur all parties should be proactive in both sharing information and releasing solutions - neither of which has really happened. 4. In this particular case, the relocation of the sway bar was not a good solution and an adjustable track bar should be included with these kits.

I chalk all of this up to the fun of off roading. I love being able to take vehicles and tear them apart, have fun with them and make them better. If we didn't enjoy it we wouldn't be in to Jeeps - the ultimate modifyable vehicle.

On a side note, just received my M.O.R.E. bumbers and will be doing that install this week. I'll do a install set of pics for the benefit of everyone. Jeep Safari was great to be able to see all the bumpers being talked about in one place and my decision wound up being one that hasn't got much play here. As far as I'm concerned, it's hands down the best thing out there. A quick pic from Easter Jeep Safari M.O.R.E. Bumper

Stubby style with optional winch tube. Fits the powerplant winch and uses the OEM fog lamps. I have to say I'm thoroughly impressed with the final product workmanship.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default My track-bar bracket welded.

I coudnt get into any place in town that had a MIG or TIG welder until sometime next week. So, a friend of mine with an Arc welder did ths job for me for free. Not the most beutiful weld, but it gets the job done and I am very thankful for it.

Note: I have cleaned it up a bit since the picture was taken with some paint and a file. But this picture shows best what was done.

Last edited by Jeephrog; 05-06-2007 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:20 PM
TEV
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pretty welds are not only pretty but strong, that weld looks horrible. Id get that redone by a pro and id make a couple passes to make it extra strong.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:13 AM
JK Freak

Just because it is pretty, doesn't make it strong. Penetration makes it strong.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
Just because it is pretty, doesn't make it strong. Penetration makes it strong.
I am not a "pro" weldor, but I build my crap to not break even at the cost of overkill. That weld would not leave my garage.

If you look you will see that the weld is 90% on the bracket 10% on the tube. Guess what one needs more heat in it to get good penetration? not only that but the weld is porous as chewed gum, end of story. redo it

also you still have the factory welds on the rest of the mount and they bring the suck.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Obviously it is not a perfect weld. However, it is good enough to get me on the road until the pros in town are able to get me in. I guess I didn't make that clear that it is a temporary fix. But I am very thankful to be able to drive right now.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeephrog
Obviously it is not a perfect weld. However, it is good enough to get me on the road until the pros in town are able to get me in. I guess I didn't make that clear that it is a temporary fix. But I am very thankful to be able to drive right now.
oh no, that statement was not made to you. ANY weld is usualy better than a broken one and it should hold fine as long as you remember that it should be re-done
Old 05-06-2007, 08:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by usmcdoc14
I am not a "pro" weldor, but I build my crap to not break even at the cost of overkill. That weld would not leave my garage.

If you look you will see that the weld is 90% on the bracket 10% on the tube. Guess what one needs more heat in it to get good penetration? not only that but the weld is porous as chewed gum, end of story. redo it

also you still have the factory welds on the rest of the mount and they bring the suck.
If you read my post, I did not say anything about the weld that is shown.

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
Just because it is pretty, doesn't make it strong. Penetration makes it strong
Old 05-09-2007, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Question What about FT's kit?

Has anyone with a Full Traction relocation braket had a break? This seems to be a Skyjacker only problem (from what I can find). I'm curious to see the difference in length (angle?) of the relocation brackets from the different manufacturers. I'm sold on the FT ultimate kit BUT I have to pay for my upcoming vacation soon and don't think I can afford it right now. I was thinking about doing the economy kit, adding the track bars when I have more money, and then adding arms in a 3rd stage as I get more money saved up. I would like to be patient but the weather is so nice that it feels like such a shame to not have the jeep up on 35's. I hope you dont think I'm hijacking the thread... as my concern for other brands of brackets is the reason I am posting this all in this threat. Thanks a ton!

Ty
Old 05-09-2007, 02:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TSmith0820
Has anyone with a Full Traction relocation braket had a break? This seems to be a Skyjacker only problem (from what I can find). I'm curious to see the difference in length (angle?) of the relocation brackets from the different manufacturers. I'm sold on the FT ultimate kit BUT I have to pay for my upcoming vacation soon and don't think I can afford it right now. I was thinking about doing the economy kit, adding the track bars when I have more money, and then adding arms in a 3rd stage as I get more money saved up. I would like to be patient but the weather is so nice that it feels like such a shame to not have the jeep up on 35's. I hope you dont think I'm hijacking the thread... as my concern for other brands of brackets is the reason I am posting this all in this threat. Thanks a ton!

Ty
Just my 2 cents .....
The Full Traction system for approx $1600.00 looks great.. (no relocation brackets)
I like the fact that it is very "beefy" and is rebuildable later on when all that rotating and flexing begins to wear out.. . And has both adjustable track bars..

No shocks though.

I like the New Rancho system.. going to cost a fortune.!!

RocKrawler, and RE are worth taking a real good look at..
I still haven't decided either..!!

Quick Reply: Broken Track Bar Bracket